Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Jun-2003, 02:48

alota fuel found in oil

I have a 2000 996 with 4200 miles on it. I usually do oil sampling to make sure that all things are going okay. Well the last sample that I sent in was a bad one. I got a call from the lab that runs the samples late last night. She said that there was excessive-critical-unacceptable amounts of FUEL in the oil sample :WTF: . Anyone else test there old oil and have the same problem or anyone found fuel in there oil? I do have the extended and Ducati regular warranty but I can hear them now saying that they wont pay for any repair until the bike breaks down. I would like to FIX the problem before it gets worse! I dont think DNA believe in PREVENTIVE warranty work. What should I do? Help please
Old 07-Jun-2003, 20:37
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Scooter 996,

So many things can cause excessive amounts of fuel in the oil, including too rich a mixture, lots of short journeys, lots of slow running, some may be a problem with the bike some may be down to how its used.

I know its not the same type of engine but we used to change the oil very regularly in a turbo rallycar engine cos lots of fuel got into it. No big deal as long as you change it far more often than 6k miles.

hope this helps,

Ray
Old 08-Jun-2003, 00:07
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
I'm only guessing here but it can only get by one way and that's past the piston rings I think ?
Old 08-Jun-2003, 07:33
Ducati Corse

I suppose that the testing company could be more used to testing aero engines and that the levels of fuel found in the oil would be more serious in a plane than in a bike.
Yes the only way it could get into the oil is past the rings. Do you blip the throttle before you shut the bike down?

Paul.
Old 08-Jun-2003, 19:22

Soon after I got my 1998 916 it was Dyno'd and found to be running so rich the mechanic speculated the fuel was washing the barrels dry, topping up the oil, acting as an expensive coolant, etc. I was getting only about 80 miles to a tankful, and it never ran above 140 degrees.
He halved the problem there and then whilst rigged up to the dyno by backing off the potentiometers and properly setting up the air mixture screw, but the complete fix was to get a FIM chip put in, as the one that came with the cans (Arrows) was just crap and went straight in the bin. So you need to get it set up on a dyno, with a programmeable chip in my limited experience.
Old 08-Jun-2003, 19:47
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
You\'re aving a larf ent ya!!!

Old 17-Jun-2003, 22:27

We redynoed it and check the fuel/air ratio and its actually running just about right if not a little bit lean. Its not blow by otherwise it would be consuming oil and smoking on start up. I am getting 150 miles out of a tank of gas and the bikes temp flucuates. 112 at the wheel isnt bad for a 996 is it?
Old 18-Jun-2003, 10:21
Mille

Mood: Meditating
150 miles to a tank of petrol - WTF are you running Paris/Dakar fuel tanks then????
Old 18-Jun-2003, 16:17
DSC Club Member
Mille

Mood: Ageing Disgracefully
150 miles out of a tank !

Sherman ? Abrahms M1 ?

Surely can't mean out of a 996 ??

Foxy