Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.
Closed Thread

Old 02-May-2005, 15:06
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
I think when you get to Snottyton, You will see the advantage of the big bore, what ever the rider.
Old 02-May-2005, 15:29
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
i dont think you can go round changing things now, and all this talk about spirit is too late. everyone knew the rules when they entered and they could decided if they wanted to enter or not. i would love to know if geoff knew about the gentlemans agreement, if he did then its a pretty poor show, if not then he hasnt actually done anything wrong.
if a series is not a single model with no mods there will ALWAYS be differences. some people will always have more money and some people always have more ability. do we want to make it a hadicap series?

my bike is a bit quikers than tp's in a straight line. ok give me a weight penalty?
he has better ability. ok add some onto his instead?
my bellypans carbon. add to mine again?

i said it at the very start, this happens in 99% of motor sport i dont see the likes of honda, or suzuki offering to detune their bike to help out ducati in WSB.
Old 02-May-2005, 15:34
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by NBs996
I'm with you Butch, there was a gentlemans agreement to keep things as even as possible and leave the 620 on standard bore.

The 583's were a little bit slower, but nothing too significant. I was just about able to reel in Andy (Team CK&AK) down the straight, but not by much, and Phil (583 big bored) was losing a few meters on me down there too but was able to keep on my tail for the whole of both races because he seemed to be the better rider.

I think the 620 bb's would be bad for the series, but at the end of it all we'll know who the trophies SHOULD have been going to, so if someone want to throw a shed load of money into boring a 620 then let them, but their victories will be hollow.

Excellent post Nick, and a pretty fair assessment of the power differences between the 674 carby big bore and the 620's. I have to tell you though, that the difference is more than a few metres. From a spectators point of view the difference is very clear, just on the short start/finish straight the 620's would stretch around 3 bike lengths over the carbed bikes. On circuits like Cadwell woodlands where there are more twists than straight bits the difference is not so marked, but get on a 'faster' circuit and the 620's will rule the roost.

So, sorry Butch, but it's not the even stevens match between the big bore and 620. I know that I am not alone in this view, that was the general agreement of everyone I was spectating with.

Of course rider skill has a large part to play, that's why CK & AK's team getting a 6th place with a standard carby 583 against the 'works' teams was such a good thing to watch.

There are a couple of people I know who are both potential entrants for next year, both of them said that the series wouldn't be worth doing unless you were on a 620, and now it seems you'll need a 680 to be really competitive, otherwise you'll just be running in the middle of the pack however good you are.

That's racing. People will always push the limits. Unfortunately, the people with the money and the dealer backing will ratchet this competitive edge up and I think you'll see a widening gap between these boys and the 'privateers' as the season develops.
Old 02-May-2005, 15:38
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Do what us SS riders are doing, and fold the results page over at the first "normal" entrant and there are your real results
Old 02-May-2005, 15:52
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
What to do then, let the field split from day one, rather hijacking the series with extra cash. Or stand up now and just say no to one bike? (STOP THE ROT)
If you restrict this now then the riders that will undoubtedly start to turn in to the racers they are
will be right up there with the racers already sitting on the leading bikes ( A racer Andy 6th)
Showed what can be done on, (no offence but by your own admission a minger)
Let these racers do some work and have to stay in front of the new race members of club on similar power bikes.
I think that some of the riders in the field have the potential to get up with race ones. A racer is only someone with more experience and all the new guys got some of that yesterday. Do they need a bigger gap to bridge than rider ability?

(HOW BIG IS YOUR WALLET) No
(HOW BIG ARE YOUR B**S) Yes

Only my view but I like to think this is a series for the new racer to get up, do well and maybe just maybe nick a cup for all his hard work and bravery. It would be a shame if this chance is taken away by a loophole in the rules.
Old 02-May-2005, 16:00
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by ericthered40
What to do then, let the field split from day one, rather hijacking the series with extra cash. Or stand up now and just say no to one bike? (STOP THE ROT)
. It would be a shame if this chance is taken away by a loophole in the rules.

firstly, i really do think there should be contact between the 'race committee' and geoff to see what geoff's understanding was.

if he was unaware of any gentlemans agreement who will foot the bill to return his bike to 620? and there is no loophole in the rules. the class limit is 680. period.

it also seems to be becoming a bit of a witch hunt, lets not devalue was was a very good win.
Old 02-May-2005, 16:01
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati
Quote:
. It would be a shame if this chance is taken away by a loophole in the rules.

firstly, i really do think there should be contact between the 'race committee' and geoff to see what geoff's understanding was.

if he was unaware of any gentlemans agreement who will foot the bill to return his bike to 620? and there is no loophole in the rules. the class limit is 680. period.

it also seems to be becoming a bit of a witch hunt, lets not devalue what was a very good win.
Old 02-May-2005, 16:05
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati
it also seems to be becoming a bit of a witch hunt, lets not devalue was was a very good win.

Hear hear Dickie, I think this thread is a bit dismissive of Geoffs two very good wins. Let's not devalue it.
Old 02-May-2005, 16:30
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Hey no witch hunt from me they were two fantastic rides for the wins
I think he is the man to beat a great rider.

I know the rules but why the gentlemen’s agreement on this in the first place?

My views were simply for the series as a hole and don’t count for **** anyway.

Nice ride in race two TP
Old 02-May-2005, 16:36
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Nice ride in race two TP

Thanks Eric, I'll put my report up soon. I'm just watching the MotoGP on Eurosport 2 at the moment (250's) and thinking about a beer.

I'm a bit sore and stiff today so just taking it easy for now, I'll finish unloading the van later this afternoon.

Eric, just one point though. Your view is perfectly valid and counts just as much as anyone else.
Closed Thread