Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 08-Aug-2005, 16:05
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
Quote:
Originally posted by ali
Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati
you're great!

no idea why but coppice was claiming the vast majority of the bikes on our trackday. at least 10 i'd say.

There was loads of kitty litter there on our TD resulting in much rectal clenching.

If your front end isn't sorted that where you'll find out....

Front end sorted..what do you mean Ali.?
Old 08-Aug-2005, 16:27
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally posted by TP
Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati
you're great!

Eh?

Only trying to help ... I should be studying anyway ...

[Edited on 8-8-2005 by TP]

i know. and in theory it sounds good. but just way too advanced for mere mid pack cannon fodder like myself!
Old 08-Aug-2005, 19:16

Mood: confused
So....

...what sort of lap times should I be looking at then? Got track day this week (National) Never been on Donny before - First time on a track on a joocatee too
Old 08-Aug-2005, 19:23
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Lap times? The DD bikes were getting round in 1:24 - 1:28, but some were not showing all their cards

First time at the circuit you'll be doing good to get low 1:30's to start with, but if the bike in your avatar be yours then you might be low 1:20's by close of play.

All depends on how good you are really - do you have times from other tracks for comparison?
Old 08-Aug-2005, 19:36
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

I'm not telling how I got round, but it's about a second slower than what Geoff did :P

...and about 3 seconds slower on race day
Old 08-Aug-2005, 20:05
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Complete lap of Donington Park National Circuit in a Lotus 340R...

11mb MPEG

...and the lines used are pretty much spot on too.

...and it's a 1'27s lap, so it's accurate ish to us

[Edited on 8-8-2005 by domski]
Old 08-Aug-2005, 20:08
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
There are verious lines down craner curves, my favorite is to keep it tight to the righthand side. This means that peeps have got to go around you and risk running wide for the left kink. I prefer to start my turn in for the old hairpin 2/3rds the way along the curbing. Its off chamber at this point so wait until you you have turned the bike before gassing hard. Allow the bike to drift out left and the sweep back for the first part of the double apex left. You should have shortshifted by this time. If you have'nt ! its too late because you will be cranked hard over and making it very difficult to change gear. Drift right out to the righthand side of the track between the apexs, this will enable you to miss the bumps. Keep the power full on until you have passed the 2nd apex. Pick the bike up once you have meet the 2nd apex and then its a matter of how much speed and how good you are on the brakes. I use no more than a 3rd of the circuit from the righthand side from the 2nd apex. Again this means that peeps will have to go around you or make it difficult for themselves to go under you and make Mcleans. I drop down 2 for mcleans, hug the curb and wind on the gas progressively. Up 1 more and then back again. Turn into coppice before you see the apex. Allow the bike to run wide, pick up and start gassing it. You should be at full throttle by the time you meet the exit. I'm crap at braking but I will keep the bike tight to the righthand side for the entry into the esses. As soon has I've turned the bike for the left hander I'm winding on the gas. Braking for redgate is anything from the end of the pit wall to the start of the blue crosshatch, don't be tempted to turn in too late or too early. A good reference point is the join between the pit exit and the circuit. ( far side) Apex is late there is a serviceroad to your right. meet it at mid way. Don't be tempted to drift out too far to the left when exiting redgate, if you are having to go out that far, you entry is too hot and you are not able to get on the gas early enough. If you get it right you can get on the power just before the apex giving you plenty of time to get on the gas and short shift to hollywood.

[Edited on 8-8-2005 by Jon]
Old 08-Aug-2005, 20:12
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Jesus Jon, can you do that again - but in English

I'm confused already and I was there on Tuesday

Old 08-Aug-2005, 20:16
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon
There are verious lines down craner curves, my favorite is to keep it tight to the righthand side. This means that peeps have got to go around you and risk running wide for the left kink. I prefer to start my turn in for the old hairpin 2/3rds the way along the curbing. Its off chamber at this point so wait until you you have turned the bike before gassing hard. Allow the bike to drift out left and the sweep back for the first part of the double apex left. You should have shortshifted by this time. If you have'nt ! its too late because you will be cranked hard over and making it very difficult to change gear. Drift right out to the righthand side of the track between the apexs, this will enable you to miss the bumps. Keep the power full on until you have passed the 2nd apex. Pick the bike up once you have meet the 2nd apex and then its a matter of how much speed and how good you are on the brakes. I use no more than a 3rd of the circuit from the righthand side from the 2nd apex. Again this means that peeps will have to go around you or make it difficult for themselves to go under you and make Mcleans. I drop down 2 for mcleans, hug the curb and wind on the gas progressively. Up 1 more and then back again. Turn into coppice before you see the apex. Allow the bike to run wide, pick up and start gassing it. You should be at full throttle by the time you meet the exit. I'm crap at braking but I will keep the bike tight to the righthand side for the entry into the esses. As soon has I've turned the bike for the left hander I'm winding on the gas. Braking for redgate is anything from the end of the pit wall to the start of the blue crosshatch, don't be tempted to turn in too late or too early. A good reference point is the join between the pit exit and the circuit. ( far side) Apex is late there is a serviceroad to your right. meet it at mid way. Don't be tempted to drift out too far to the left when exiting redgate, if you are having to go out that far, you entry is too hot and you are not able to get on the gas early enough. If you get it right you can get on the power just before the apex giving you plenty of time to get on the gas and short shift to hollywood.

[Edited on 8-8-2005 by Jon]

Where did you steal that lot from?

It can't be yours, 'cause you missed the part where you

"go in too hot, brake poorly, miss the apex, hit the grass and pick it up quickly from the gravel!!!"
Old 08-Aug-2005, 20:26
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

I wasn't gunna do this, but I should be fast enough or I need shooting - Here's a 1.24 lap with Dumski...

This is based on Snett Gearing less one on the back sprocket (58-60bhp, 5 speed)

Redgate is all important!!!!!!

I start braking at the end of the blue triangle at end of pit lane, down 2 gears.

Wait until you're just about to take to the gravel before turning in. It's a late apex (use the end of the rumble strip on the inside of the turn as your apex).

Up to top gear through Hollywood, and flat all the way down Craner (takes bottle, but easy once you've done it - like bungee jumping... which I haven't done yet)

Back 2 gears for the old hairpin, and I'm on the gas again pretty much as I turn in. You need to nail this turn in order to get the drive up the hill. It loads the front a lot through there and takes bottle to go through it quickly.

Up to 4th before apexing Spitfires kink, and just the other side grab top gear.

Flat out though Schwantz (bit of a bottler) and stay left. You need to get the bike upright to brake quite hard for Mcleans (if you've carried the speed) back 2 gears for Mcleans.

Up to 4th gear on run to Coppice.

Then back again to 3rd just before you tip in.

Coppice is a blind entry and you have to turn before you hit the top of the rise. It's bloody wide on the exit and you can get fully on the gas once you've turned over the rise (you won't think you can, but it's soooo wide) You'll grab another gear (4th) about 3/4 the way around, and then top gear before the bridge.

Use the building on the left for brake markers, until you're braking past it, and then I used the rumble strip on the right hand side (You'll be on the left!)

Back 2 gears (3rd) for the Esses, and you can get hard on the gas once you've apexed the first right hander, and drive right out to the rumble strip after apexing the left turn.

The rumble strips are pretty flat at Donny, so you can use em all

Now, nobody has read this - right!!!