Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 02-Aug-2005, 22:54
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
how was donington today ??

hope it went well for everyone, how did those that hadn't done it before, like it ?????
Old 02-Aug-2005, 23:05
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Fantastic. Had a few troubles getting on the boil but it's a superb track. The run down from the apex of Redgate to the old hairpin is just electrifying, flat out right, right, left, and hard right.

Tim had good form, as did Tony, so the top 10 is going to be super crowded. Ian got punted by someone else on the old hairpin, hopefully the bike can go back together for the 13th.

Don't think anyone had particular mechanical problems, but my right hand-side of the rear tyre was completely shot from Snet. Made a big difference on the longer rights.

One thing's for sure, it's going to be an epic race, and Redgate is going to take a few casualties on the starts.... it's all to easy to be way to quick....

Cheers,

Ali
Old 02-Aug-2005, 23:09
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
cool, sounds good. hope ian can get it sorted in time for the race. looking forward to my session there friday. could be a wet one though.
Old 02-Aug-2005, 23:21
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Ian's bike is a bit trashed unfortunately. It's fairly quick through there and you can't slow down too much when your front tyre is no longer in contact with the tarmac ...

This is my new favourite track even over Brands GP. Simply awesome.

I turn up to find they'd moved me and a few others into the novice group. I did the first 3 sessions in there but it just wasn't working out. I asked to be moved up to fast after lunch and my wish was granted. I had some interesting moments during the day, had a run on the grass on the outside of McLeans ... during one of the novice sessions I had a gentleman who was a little unsure of how he wanted to brake and what line he wanted to take into the chicane so I was going to go under on the brakes until he drifted across in front of me while I was already hard on the brakes ... cue the rear wheel lifting a foot off the ground Domski style only for me to put it back down and do it again ... he made the corner none the wiser and I went around the outside of him exiting the chicane ... phew!

.. had another trip on the grass on the outside of redgate ... then the tyres started sliding, had a big slide in McLeans, enough to sit me up out of the seat ... but the funniest one, another rear slide exiting the old hairpin only this time it went a bit quicker and I was well and truly off the bike (doing the pickup drill for you CSS people) and I nearly fell off the side of the bike ... and then the bike died! I was grabbing gears and trying to make it all happen but nothing - hand in the air and pulled over on the inside of Schwantz Curve and sat on the wall in a fit of depression. Then the marshall's made me push the bike up the hill and off the track to the boundary road when, lo and behold ... I noticed that the killswitch was off! In my flapping around on the bike after sliding (my left hand came off the bars during all that, and the kill switch is now on the left hand side ...) I'd inadvertently knocked the switch.

BUGGER!!

It was a much better place to be in the fast group and I'm glad I went up. Got some clear laps and some dicing with the DD boys and it went fairly well. Nice weather, good company, a fantastic track - what more do you want?

[Edited on 2-8-2005 by TP]

[Edited on 3-8-2005 by TP]
Old 02-Aug-2005, 23:23
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
I'm absolutely fried!
Like Ali says... craner curves is terrifying! Pin the throttle on the stop out of Redgate and it's flat-stick through the gears all the way to the old hairpin... only you gotta do that with your knee(s) on the floor! Most laps I was laughing all the way down the curves!

Very fast, yet very technical circuit - lot's of corners that link together but if you get a lap right then it's a real buzz.

13th august will be madness!!

n
Old 02-Aug-2005, 23:40
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally posted by TP

This is my new favourite track even over Brands GP. Simply awesome.

Could of told you that before I did brands, just keep going North for the better tracks mate

Donny and Oulton in a class of their own
Old 02-Aug-2005, 23:45
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
Could of told you that before I did brands, just keep going North for the better tracks mate

Donny and Oulton in a class of their own

Oulton is on the list for next year. Definitely keen.

Donny ... what can I say, I loved it.
Old 02-Aug-2005, 23:48
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Next year????

FE have two days in Sept.....

Oh and don't forget I'm in the initial stages of organising the NW DSC Track day there

[Edited on 2-8-2005 by JPM]
Old 02-Aug-2005, 23:52
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
Next year????

FE have two days in Sept.....

Oh and don't forget I'm in the initial stages of organising the NW DSC Track day there

[Edited on 2-8-2005 by JPM]

Sounds good, keep me in the loop.But no promises, I'm racing in Sept as well and I have a few other irons in the fire so we'll have to see how things pan out.

We can chat on Tuesday.

PS - I met Garry Smith today.

[Edited on 2-8-2005 by TP]
Old 03-Aug-2005, 01:14
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
'twas a good day indeed - the weather was kind and all got a bit moist!!!

Like TP I made a move into the Fast group after starting in the Inters. It was much clearer in the Fast group and gave good opportunities to get some quick laps in and learn some lines. I've still gotta find a couple of turn points, but hopefully will sort those in practice next week.

The last session was a supposed longer session and I took the opp to attempt to put in a race distance run - all pretty good and excellent preparation for next week's fiasco!!!!

As others have said, with so little power, you can just keep the bike pinned in a few places, particularly down thorugh Craner (if you get the line right) and upset many of the "bigger" boys. (they just blow you away down the straights though!!!)

If its dry on the 13th, then its gonna be pretty hairy, a lot of the track is at full chat and I wonder if one tankful is enough to make the distance???? - what's the ruling on fuel stops bring it on!!!

Tim