Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 19-Jan-2006, 23:59
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

To me if you are not 100 % dont do it

You cant be 100% as you asked for other peoples opinions.

And thats mine for what its worth
Old 20-Jan-2006, 00:01
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by ali
Right, time for the voice of reason....

Telling someone to go racing is like telling someone to stick their nose on the end of a rolled up note, there's a very good chance they'll be fine, but there's a slim risk it'll all go t!ts up and you'll have to live with that recommendation for the rest of your life. Having been though roughly what you have over the last few months I can fully appreciate the bloody inconvenience of being in one-hand-land for extended periods of time, and understand a tiny bit of what it would mean to spend the rest of your life like that.

I'm also about to get married, the missus (and family) know that I have no off button, and are dead set against the whole idea, but........ ....what would summer be without it? How would I validate riding on the road instead when it's almost as dangerous? How would I feel in 20 years time knowing I only gave it one shot on an underpowered bike? What happens when you run through a race lap in your mind and your heart no longer races and the adrenaline doesn't force you to sit up in bed?

I made my decision while I was still sliding along on my arse. I know I won't come back riding as hard, I have an evening with Geoff to thank for that. But I'll still out-brake the guys I did last year, and I'll do my best to make some smoother lines make up for the bravery that's going to be in short supply this season. I'm not going to scoop the championship, but I'll have a fecking great time battling for top 10 spots (hopefully) without doing myself too much injury. Come out and play, just remember there's an off switch.

Ali

Someone get that man a drink - he's beginning to make sense !!!
Old 20-Jan-2006, 10:12
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
Andy,

I have made a decsion to NOT ride on the road, as I believe the track is the safest and best option for me to enjoy riding in the way I want to ride.

Trackdays are great but I've learn't loads from DD last year in a welcoming and sportmanlike? environment. I would bever have considered racing outside of the DD series.

I'm with Ali and others on this one, do it and enjoy it at the level and pace and pressure you want to put onto your self that is BALANCED with the rest of your life, now and in the future.

My reflections on last year are all positive, I didn't do myself any damage so I can't empathise with you fully.

Personally I would like to see you out there with the rest of the 'budget' boys and girls in class B, having a cracking race series.

Cheers!
Old 20-Jan-2006, 10:19
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
Andy,

The voice of someone who isn't/hasn't ridden in DD but has crashed and burned in the same way you did.

As you may be aware back in 2001 i crashed and shatterd my femur, broke 8 bones in my hand and wrist and collar bone in 2 places. It was over 12 months before i could walk without the aid of crutches again. I've got a 20" or so pin in my ffemur and 3 pieces of metalwork in hand and wrist.
So, where am i going with this you may be asking.... Well it eats you up inside... I can read between the lines slightly and you still feel like i have many many times, (and still do) that you have something to prove. Maybe to yourself, maybe to others... but there's still something you feel you've not fully scratched off the list as completed. Until you do... there will always be the niggle there in your mind

All of you 1-7 doubts are the exact same doubts each and every rider has when prepping the bike for the season.

The only big factor is your misuss...... Mine was part of the reason i called it a day from racing, this was mostly due to a few 'incidents' last season, and seeing how unhappy she would be made the decision a little easier.

Due to finances i'd already decided to quit anyhow but that was the final nail in the coffin.

I am fairly sure you will race this season, be that for 1 meeting or the series i don't know.... but reading you post, you WANT to race.... you're just having the usual doubts.
Old 20-Jan-2006, 14:10
Big Twin

Mood: Hmmm Conference season
Andy
Not saying this will work But !
If the reason your undecided is the wife, Do what I do, Every night for as long as it takes mope around, put on BSB season review every night at about the same time all the soaps come on. You have to show no interest in anything other that bikes and racing them.
The good bit is after a few weeks she will be so monked off she will go out and buy the bloody bike for you, Bingo then its her idea.....
No promises but it worked for me.......
Glyn
Old 20-Jan-2006, 16:49
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
If you dont do it while you have a chance, you will regret it.
Forever.
If you have another go, and find its too much or whatever, dont do any more rounds. Nobody is forcing you to do every round.
And it IS FUN, its some of the best fun you can have without trousers on

Me, I'm trying to organise 4 race bikes for next year !
While I can still do it
Old 20-Jan-2006, 19:54
Mille

asside from the cost, racing is dangerous so it has to be your own decission.

that said, i understand your position - i get withdrawl symptoms in the off season as nothing; riding on the road, track days etc; compares to racing.

balance that against the fact that i run my own business - if i don't work i don't get paid - so the possible concequence of an accident is very serious.

so whatever the decission it has to be your own. having said that if you race this year it will be great to pitch my tent next to you again.
Old 20-Jan-2006, 20:07
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by the old man
asside from the cost, racing is dangerous so it has to be your own decission.

that said, i understand your position - i get withdrawl symptoms in the off season as nothing; riding on the road, track days etc; compares to racing.

balance that against the fact that i run my own business - if i don't work i don't get paid - so the possible concequence of an accident is very serious.

so whatever the decission it has to be your own. having said that if you race this year it will be great to pitch my tent next to you again.

Crikey, where did you come from?

Welcome back Ian
Old 20-Jan-2006, 22:20
Montjuic

Quote:
Originally posted by phil_h
If you dont do it while you have a chance, you will regret it.
Forever

Is that a threat?
Old 20-Jan-2006, 22:25
Montjuic

Mmmmm interesting place Cadwell Park...lovely circuit, amongst my favourite circuits, but I've raced since 1982 and only ever fallen off 3 times, EVERY time has been at Cadwell!!
So my suggestion is go for it, but fit stabilisers or ice racing tyres for Cadwell!