Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 15-Mar-2011, 19:26
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
Propper Preparation prevents **** poor Performance!

Brands for me went like this,

I had things to do Friday afternoon that I couldn't get out of, so having booked the Friday test day and a Garage I decided to go up after work (7am) and unload the bike and stuff into said Garage and maybe do the first 2 sessions.

they went like this,

Session 1 went out and rode round about as quick as I felt was sensible, got overtaken by Neil and realized that I was way off the pace.

Session 2 decided to go a bit faster, I went round Druids and the fairing scrapped on the ground, then at Graham Hill Bend the other side scrapped on the ground as well, then on the cooper strait the fairing, obviously damaged from grounding 'exploded' (as Trudi said) and got run over by whoever was behind which completely distroyed it.

Session 3, I had decided to give session 3 a go without a fairing, which went ok,,, ish

Then my afternoon was spent wondering if and when I would get time to rebuild my catch tray, and how or if I could then refit it.

the answer was about 8 to 10pm on my knees in my garage!

Saturday, a lack of proper planning meant that I had to work Saturday morning untill 7am so after work again I rushed up to Brands with recently repaird/bodged catch tray, a pile of cable ties and a big roll of duck tape and proceeded to fit/tape/cable tie the fairing back on, with some success, sadly I missed most of the practice I did the out lap then saw the checkered flag.

Qualifying went ok,, ish, I have ridden this bike a couple of times but never really pushed it hard and as such have never noticed some problems, Firstly the fairing still grounds out on both sides, when I brake hard the nose cone hits the front wheel and I can't turn in fast enough or hold a tight line when going fast, the fairing problems I could ignor or ride around for this weekend and the later could be fixed by adding a bit of rear ride height, only, it couldn't because the ride height adjuster was seized, and we couldn't move it, (we tried for at least 1 hour) I couldn't drop the front because it already was too low.

Race 1, I was 2nd on the grid and being my local track which I know so well, I believed I could keep with Neil and fight for the lead toward the end of the race (Neils getting on a bit you know) dispite the bike issues, but trying to follow Neil round Druids Hairpin the Front started to push out and I had to run wide, out onto the grass which lost me loads of time and Neil F.O.I.T.D. (F*#ked off into the distance) never to be seen again.

Race 2, I still beleived the same as Race 1, but I just couldn't keep up with Neil in the first half of the race, I did start to close the gap by the end as the old man was slowing down due to fatigue, but not nearly enough.

All said and done 2x 2nd places is a bloody good start to the year and I have got a plan of action for 'improvements' to the bike setup. and a bit of preparation.

Sadly I found the 'Brands experiance' a bit stressfull, mainly due to spending most of it on my hands and knees with bleeding knuckles, and not actually fixing anything.

It was great to meet some new people and to see 'old' friends though. And at the end of the day it was Fantastic to have 2x 2nd places and spread some 'AWESOME' Joy at the Raffle.

My 'crew' and friends all enjoyed running errands on my little Thump star, which is probably the best investment I've made, everyone should have a paddock bike!

Then I thought I'd lost my big kettle! Then Kev told me he had found it and would bring it to Mallory (what an emotional rollercoaster)

I have now taken the height adjuster rod off, cleaned and greased it and refitted it, and I have ordered a whole new fairing, which when fitted will not bang on the ground or the front wheel. and poked myself in the eye by accident which while I'm sure isn't a serious injury, it really hurts!

but I hope to be ready for Mallory and use my extra 5 bhp to give Neil a whooping!

race plan 1 alfa (stick my fingers up when I overtake Neil)

Take Care and Fair Well my fellow motorized cycle pilots!

Awesome Lawson
Old 15-Mar-2011, 19:38
Mille
Bikes: 916SPS and DD #21

Mood: Optimistic
Hectic start for you Matt but good results never the less and NOW you have a strategy

I honestly believe that whilst these tyres are brilliant they have a much rounder profile (virtually no-one got to their edges on the rears). Average 'chicken strip was between 0.25" and 0.5".

This makes them a bit slower to turn in and have a tendency to run wide, so suspension set ups from the Pirelli's won't cut it.

I definitely need more ride height but my shock doesn't have that facility

May be able to dial it out a bit with Compression/Rebound dampening adjustments... Unless someone has a cheap'ish shock with ride height facility going???
Old 15-Mar-2011, 19:41
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
May be able to dial it out a bit with Compression/Rebound dampening adjustments... Unless someone has a cheap'ish shock with ride height facility going???

900ss shock a lot use as its longer, but dont think its very adjustable
Old 15-Mar-2011, 19:45
Mille

Only 5mm longer Paul but could be ok
Old 15-Mar-2011, 19:47
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

It was a hectic start, yes,

But my mind is different from last year, I'm o.k. with whatever results I get this year whereas last year I just wanted to win (or crash trying)

what I'm not wanting to do is spend the year buggering about with the bike, I just want to ride it.

what is your bike? is it an SS? if it is the 900ss shocks are a bit longer they are not adjustable but increase ride height to a more appropriate level. Fine adjustment of the front to back ratio can be done with the forks.
Old 15-Mar-2011, 19:54
Mille

Yes it is an SS Matt with the Forks down through the yokes a fair bit already and like yours, not really enough ground clearance.

MCT at Stowmarket sorted my forks and shock over the winter but they also agree with my thoughts, that more ride height is needed.

I don't want to throw money at it (cuz that's not what DD is about).
So on the lookout for a better (2nd hand) and preferably a ride height adjustable shock.
Old 15-Mar-2011, 22:42
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
900ss shock a lot use as its longer, but dont think its very adjustable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
Only 5mm longer Paul but could be ok

Where did you get that info from Alan
As far as I know a 900SS shock is the same length as that of the 600SS, unlike a 750SSie and 900SSie shocks which are 5mm longer

Great write up Matt
You mention you have now removed the ride height adjusting rod, cleaned it, greased it and refitted it.
Did you bother to lengthen it at the same time ?

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 15-Mar-2011, 23:00
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Where did you get that info from Alan
As far as I know a 900SS shock is the same length as that of the 600SS, unlike a 750SSie and 900SSie shocks which are 5mm longer

senna and dave the brickie - which is why i collected one for kev he bought off ebay
Old 15-Mar-2011, 23:16
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Great write up Matt
You mention you have now removed the ride height adjusting rod, cleaned it, greased it and refitted it.
Did you bother to lengthen it at the same time ?

Doh! Actually I have no idear how much to lengthen it so I have put it back the same. But at mallory I can adjust it and test it untill I'm happy
Old 15-Mar-2011, 23:19
Big Twin

What I did note, was that there is quite a bit of adjustment there. At least an inch.