Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 14-Sep-2005, 15:46
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
If your 620 was making big power numbers - circa 68-70 then I'd be interested to look at your torque and power curves. They might have big final numbers but I think they might be at the expense of what drives you out of the corner. I'd be more interested in making sure I had that covered and having the suspension well sorted and some decent brakes.

Tim why don't you just take some measurements on your bike, put some oil on your forks and shock to see how much of your travel you are actually using when you're braking as hard as you can and cornering as fast as you can etc ... then you'll know if they need adjusting. You actually don't want to be using your full suspension travel because you're not giving your suspension it's best opportunity to deal with surface imperfections when your forks or shock are nearly fully compressed.

Do you feel like the front pushes at all, or that it's really difficult to turn - especially when the power is on? Part of this will be geometry as well. It's all a complex equation that the more I learn the more I realise I don't know - that's why I paid Neil to sort it out for me. If you're happy to pay a few hundred quid on chasing 2 or 3 horsepower I reckon you'd be MUCH better off spending £500 on suspension.
Old 14-Sep-2005, 16:03
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
i dont agree......well i do to a degree...get the suspension set up and the brakes then if you can afford to get 70+ rwp why not.............sure 66 is easily acheivable as has been shown by most of the 620ies on the grid, if you can get 70rwp and you can afford it why not give your self every advantage you can........
Of course the rider has to be able to exploit the gains for them to be worthwhile otherwise they become redundant..........

Phil

ps..if i had the money i would eek every bit of BHP i could..........
Old 14-Sep-2005, 16:08
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally posted by fil2
i dont agree......well i do to a degree...get the suspension set up and the brakes then if you can afford to get 70+ rwp why not.............sure 66 is easily acheivable as has been shown by most of the 620ies on the grid, if you can get 70rwp and you can afford it why not give your self every advantage you can........
Of course the rider has to be able to exploit the gains for them to be worthwhile otherwise they become redundant..........

Phil

Even to the point where you have sacrificed your midrange completely just to see a big top end number? You'd have to ride it like a two stroke just to have any power but you'd have the disadvantage of still having the engine braking meaning that while you're likely to lock up the rear a lot downshifting for corners in order to keep the revs so high.

You'd better possess the finesse of a very experienced racer or have a decent slipper clutch to be able to ride a bike setup like that I think.

I could be completely wrong of course, it wouldn't be the first time.

I'd be more happy to sacrifice a few bhp in the top end to make a bike that drives off the corners better and is generally easier to ride.
Old 14-Sep-2005, 16:14
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally posted by TP
Quote:

Phil

Even to the point where you have sacrificed your midrange completely just to see a big top end number? You'd have to ride it like a two stroke just to have any power but you'd have the disadvantage of still having the engine braking meaning that while you're likely to lock up the rear a lot downshifting for corners in order to keep the revs so high.

You'd better possess the finesse of a very experienced racer or have a decent slipper clutch to be able to ride a bike setup like that I think.

I could be completely wrong of course, it wouldn't be the first time.

I'd be more happy to sacrifice a few bhp in the top end to make a bike that drives off the corners better and is generally easier to ride.

agreed....would not sacrfice power curves to the extent of a 2 stroke ...my bike spend most of its time in the upper reaches of the revs anyway
My point is if you can acheive high rwhp while maintaining power delivery acceptable to the ride why not.........
I dont think with 70rwhp that rear lock up would be an issue.?..and besides i would fit a slipper clutch to combat that if indeed it was a problem............

If you can afford too have it all...why not give yourself every chance you can buy.?

[Edited on 14-9-2005 by fil2]
Old 14-Sep-2005, 16:17
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:

Phil, this is exactly what we sacrificed financially for a good set up at the beginning of the season, as TP agrees with, mate.

Suspension first, first & first!
Old 14-Sep-2005, 16:19
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally posted by CK and AK
Quote:

Phil, this is exactly what we sacrificed financially for a good set up at the beginning of the season, as TP agrees with, mate.

Suspension first, first & first!

im not disagreeing with that at all CK or TP.....what im saying is if you can have BOTH and afford it..why not.? why not afford yourself every advantage you can if you have the funds to do so...?............
Old 14-Sep-2005, 16:20
MotoGP God

Quote:
agreed....would not sacrfice power curves to the extent of a 2 stroke ...my bike spend most of its time in the upper reaches of the revs anyway
My point is if you can acheive high rwhp while maintaining power delivery acceptable to the ride why not.........
I dont think with 70rwhp that rear lock up would be an issue.?..and besides i would fit a slipper clutch to combat that if indeed it was a problem............

I reckon to get that sort of power and a decent slipper clutch you've just invested around £2k-£3k or more in the bike - depending on where you go to and your own tuning expertise. If you haven't sorted out the suspension then you still need to do that as well, plus brakes - now you have a very, very expensive bike.

Not worth it for DD IMO.
Old 14-Sep-2005, 16:22
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Excessive revving of duacti engines can result in oily unpleasantness!

75bhp at 11,000 rpm is very nice, but you'd better have a blueprinted engine including balanced pistons. There's always a good chance of bent valves, blown head gaskets, etc, when running an engine at its very limits, and rebuilds rarely come in at less than four figures. Is this series really at a stage where this is normal for the series leaders? Madness.
Old 14-Sep-2005, 16:26
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally posted by TP
Quote:

I reckon to get that sort of power and a decent slipper clutch you've just invested around £2k-£3k or more in the bike - depending on where you go to and your own tuning expertise. If you haven't sorted out the suspension then you still need to do that as well, plus brakes - now you have a very, very expensive bike.

Not worth it for DD IMO.

Thats all relative .!!.....if u can why not is all im saying...and if you want to give yourself the advantage that it may bring you on the track why not.!..the amount of money racers spend on their bikes in another classes is beyond compare....

If i had the money i would buy a new monnie 620ie roll it into BAINES and say build the fastest best handling monster you can.. "ring me " when its done or you want me into sort suspension etc...............

[Edited on 14-9-2005 by fil2]
Old 14-Sep-2005, 16:28
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally posted by ali
Excessive revving of duacti engines can result in oily unpleasantness!

75bhp at 11,000 rpm is very nice, but you'd better have a blueprinted engine including balanced pistons. There's always a good chance of bent valves, blown head gaskets, etc, when running an engine at its very limits, and rebuilds rarely come in at less than four figures. Is this series really at a stage where this is normal for the series leaders? Madness.

yup.................and why not if they can afford it or want to put that effort in.?