Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 13-Mar-2011, 13:05
Mille
Bikes: 916SPS and DD #21

Mood: Optimistic
Smile DD 2011 (Brands Hatch).. Sorted #21

Promised myself and my sponsors I'd do a write up after each round this year and with senility creeping in (get my Bus Pass at the Snetterton round in June) I thought I'd better get it written before I forget!!

Well we arrived Thursday evening for the Friday Test day and decided to turn in early and watch a DVD (NO not one of those)! Apparently, Scott (Badger), Trudi and the 2 x Kev's popped down to see us but think we were in the land of nod by then Lol... Not long before Ovaltine and bed before the 10 o'clock news methinks... Now where was I
Anyway, next morning the sun was shining and all went well for 2 sessions (although I couldn't seem to get better than 1min.02secs).. Sat out the 3rd session and then set off for the 1st one after lunch, determined to up the pace.
Rode up to Kev's garage a little early.. Switched off and then It wouldn't start and despite an attempted couple of bumps no go.. Thanks Kev and Paul for the knackering push.
Back in Kev's garage.. No spark at either plug and both yes BOTH almost new Igniters blown!
Kev lent me a pair and I got out for 5 laps of the last session, I had some spares in the Motorhome so swapped them back and close of day!
Race Day
I was slightly anxious about the bike but the practice session went ok'ish and I got down to 1min..018secs, then qualified in 1min.00.128secs for 6th in Group B (not too bad but knew I could go faster).
Race 1
Got off to a pretty good start and right behind Kev, Phil and Jimbo into Druids (Keep them in sight I thought) and was still with them on Lap 6 when Phil's Chain snaked across the track in front of me exiting Druids.. Sorry Phil but I thought, Ermm 5th now.
Had a tussle with Neal Catling passing and then being re-passed but managed to make it stick.. 4th ... Then Jimbo cruising minus his exhaust and I'm 3rd Woohoo (Soz Jimbo).
Then who the hell was that 3 laps from the finish No.4 with an Orange Vest (Hugh) dived under me at Clearways and was gone, so I crossed the line in 4th, still it was my best finish yet and a 58.673sec lap .. Yess!
Race 2
After Jimbo's jump start (there for the grace of god and about 1/10th of a sec was I too matey).
I was a tad slower 2nd race with a best of 59.272sec but managed to dive under Phil and up to 4th. Hit 1st gear going into Druids (same lap) and locked up for Phil to go back under me.. I stuck on his tail until 2 almighty back fires on the back straight and up went his hand.. Game over (rough luck Phil but I would have got ya
Hey... with Jimbo's jump start I may be 3rd I thought but then S**t there goes Hugh again, no sprocket size tips from me next time . Thought may pip Jimbo for 4th again though but even with a 10sec penalty 3rd for James.
Brilliant ride mate!! and I was happy with a 5th well kinda Lol.
What a great start to the season and well done EVERYBODY!

Apart from next to my gorgeous wife (Summer) the DD Paddock is the best place in the world to be and as she supports me at every meeting, well here's one happy chappy
Old 13-Mar-2011, 15:45
Mille

Thanks for your help at Brands, great advice on the sprocket change! I like riding bikes but not the best on the spanners! Would say I felt guilty when I went by you but ..... Sure you will get your opportunity at Mallory or anywhere else really... its only Brands that I know!

For me, in the first race I was just gutted that I didnt start well and people flew past me, so I just got my head down and started trying to make my way forward. Looking at the time sheets I managed 8 laps in the 58s with the fastest lap of 58.14. A great deal of that came from Ron telling me a new line around clearways and feeling very comfortable to go into paddock faster and wider than ever previously. HOW GOOD ARE THESE TYRES!!

(thanks to my Mrs, Lucia, she caught the last two "round the outside" moves at paddock!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMQuah0nw0U

Sadly, not only did the race marshall tell me that the new exhaust that DWR built stuck out past the bike (and not allowed in ACU rules) but also after spectator comments of puffs of smoke at the bottom of Paddock Hill I learnt that the "thud" was my exhaust hitting my back wheel.

In race 2 I didnt get into the 58s once which I think was due to not really being able to fly into paddock in the same way as I had before. Instead I was trying to do it with my bum off the seat in fear of locking up the back wheel!

Would have liked to had a play with Ron and Jimbo upfront but perhaps another time!
Old 13-Mar-2011, 16:15
Mille

I noticed that puff of smoke in the dip too but thought it may be me steaming in my Crash Helmet cuz you were riding so fecking fast

Well done Hugh a great ride mate.
Old 13-Mar-2011, 18:24
Mille
Bikes: DD 620, 998 Matrix, 500 Pantah, Honda 350 K4, Drixton 500 Honda, Triumph 1050.

Mood: Depends on how many crashes I have!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955SP
Would have liked to had a play with Ron and Jimbo upfront but perhaps another time!

Possibly not the best choice of words for the statement, thou I am sure you will leave both Ron and Jimbo smiling smiling
Old 13-Mar-2011, 19:00
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve41

Possibly not the best choice of words for the statement, thou I am sure you will leave both Ron and Jimbo smiling smiling

I'm in the wrong class.

Great report Alan.
Always good to see you and Summer and I'm sure your name is on some silverware this year.
Old 13-Mar-2011, 19:48
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955SP
Thanks for your help at Brands, great advice on the sprocket change! I like riding bikes but not the best on the spanners! Would say I felt guilty when I went by you but ..... Sure you will get your opportunity at Mallory or anywhere else really... its only Brands that I know!

For me, in the first race I was just gutted that I didnt start well and people flew past me, so I just got my head down and started trying to make my way forward. Looking at the time sheets I managed 8 laps in the 58s with the fastest lap of 58.14. A great deal of that came from Ron telling me a new line around clearways and feeling very comfortable to go into paddock faster and wider than ever previously. HOW GOOD ARE THESE TYRES!!

(thanks to my Mrs, Lucia, she caught the last two "round the outside" moves at paddock!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMQuah0nw0U

Sadly, not only did the race marshall tell me that the new exhaust that DWR built stuck out past the bike (and not allowed in ACU rules) but also after spectator comments of puffs of smoke at the bottom of Paddock Hill I learnt that the "thud" was my exhaust hitting my back wheel.

In race 2 I didnt get into the 58s once which I think was due to not really being able to fly into paddock in the same way as I had before. Instead I was trying to do it with my bum off the seat in fear of locking up the back wheel!

I could smell the tyre rubber Hugh I guessed it was a clearance prob. Didn't slow you down tho', well done on your first place, in essentially your first race.
Old 14-Mar-2011, 10:31
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlop0_1
I'm in the wrong class.

Great report Alan.
Always good to see you and Summer and I'm sure your name is on some silverware this year.

Thanks Neil.. fingers crossed

It was good to see you were flying, well done mate.

Also, a massive WELL DONE to Toni for getting out in the Friday Test Day
It must have been a bit intimidating for her on her cracking looking bike, so hats off to her for that (and the luvverly cakes)
Old 14-Mar-2011, 21:36
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
Thanks Neil.. fingers crossed

It was good to see you were flying, well done mate.

Also, a massive WELL DONE to Toni for getting out in the Friday Test Day
It must have been a bit intimidating for her on her cracking looking bike, so hats off to her for that (and the luvverly cakes)

Oh thanks Alan, yes it was a little intimidating but being surounded by a load of men on motorbikes isn't that bad.
Just want to say how supportive and encouraging you and Summer were along with all the DD paddock. A big THANKS to you all.
I'll be sticking to track days from now on.

Toni
Old 14-Mar-2011, 21:38
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
Don't take this the wrong way, Al...but I simply can't believe how good your results were.

Huge improvement over last year mate...keep up the great work!!!!
Old 15-Mar-2011, 00:22
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otei
Don't take this the wrong way, Al...but I simply can't believe how good your results were.

Huge improvement over last year mate...keep up the great work!!!!

I thought Alan's 6th and 5th at Mallory last year wasn't to shabby.
Hopefully Alan can put the bike problems that plauged him through the second half of last year and on last Fridays practice day behind him and build both his confidence in his bike and his speed.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook