Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 08-Jan-2012, 23:05
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly
Alloy can dissolve at an alarming rate unless you're careful and know exactly what strength you need and/or are dealing with.

This is true, but an egg-cup per pint is a very weak solution so it will take minutes rather than seconds to do.

However, I agree that if you're not sure of what you're doing or if you're sending it off for anodising straight after, paying someone else to not f*ck it up is a good idea!

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 08-Jan-2012, 23:09
500SD
Bikes: 996 Bip

Mood: CITIUS EST MELIUS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper
I am currently working on a 23mm Corsa big axle conversion for my SP5 and want to strip the anodising before re anodising.What is the best way to strip it without damaging the aluminium?

Doing it by hand is going to be a ball ache!!

Hi Jasper,

Try using a polymer 'black wheel' for an electric drill or angle grinder, its effectively the green side of a kitchen scourer albeit in a disc, black and a bit more rigid. I my V8 building days some rather doubious individual anodised the alloy cylinder heads, so I used exactly this product to clean it off. I have one in the garage if you want a picture.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

James
Old 08-Jan-2012, 23:13
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I remember a rather pricey set of Mag yokes cracking when a set of nicely anodised forks were bolted into them, this was because the original anodised finish on them had been skimmed off by turning them down in a lathe and then re-Anodising them, the slightly smaller diameter that was left over stressed the mag yokes as they tried to clamp around them.

To me either skimming the surface or disolving it is still damaging the alloy So goes against what was called for in the original post

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit