Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Oct-2004, 17:42
Montjuic

Mood: tyred and exhausted
Adjustable lever conversion

I have read that it is possible to fit adjustable clutch and brake levers to my ST4s but this may require adjustment of the stearing lock as well.

Has anybody done the conversion and can someone no mechanical aptitude do it?

I'm guessing that it will be best to get it done when I have the (gulp) 6K service done as I will mean fiddling with brakes. If you've had a dealer do it I'd love to know how much it costs.

Old 27-Oct-2004, 17:59
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

I don't know about the ST4s but the ST4 uses the same master cylinders and levers as my carb 900SS. Span adjustable levers are available from various sources for about £30 - £50 the pair. (I got mine from Spareshack) You don't need to adjust the steering lock. All you do is undo the nut on the bottom of the pivot, slip the pivot out, remove the lever and fit the new one, replace the pivot (preferably with a smear of fresh grease) and re-fit the nut. That's it. Even a monkey could do it in 10 minutes.
Only thig to watch for is that the adjuster screw for the cylinder engagement is not too far in. If you adjust them so they protrude the same as the old ones you should be fine.
Old 27-Oct-2004, 18:28
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Yes, you can do it. You can either use ducati adjustable levers at about £90 or pattern parts from spareshack (can't remember the URL - sorry) for about £35.

Fitting them is a ten minute job, but you will need to fiddle about with the steering lock stops. The adjustable levers protrude a bit further than the standard ones and they will catch on the fairing at full lock. This will slap your front brake on and can (and has for me) pitch you off the bike in the middle of a U-turn. There are a couple of allen bolts that act as lock stops on the bottom yoke, and these will need a couple of minutes twiddling to get the maximum lock without fouling anything
Old 27-Oct-2004, 19:24
500SD

Same as above. Monkey can do it . got mine from spareshack too at 35.00
Old 27-Oct-2004, 21:15
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Quote:
The adjustable levers protrude a bit further than the standard ones and they will catch on the fairing at full lock. This will slap your front brake on and can (and has for me) pitch you off the bike in the middle of a U-turn.

I've fitted adjustable levers to both my ST2 and ST4S and not had this problem Jools... the only thing I have heard is that sometimes the lever can catch on the pivot mountings on the master cylinder but that's only on the early fixed reservoir master cyls...

Not saying that they won't catch the fairing but I haven't had a problem in over 20,000 miles on two bikes.

Damn good modification too!

Andy

[Edited on 27-10-2004 by Rushjob]
Old 28-Oct-2004, 18:59
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Well I guess that the steering lock stops are adjusted differently on different bikes. I wouldn't mind betting that they're positioned quite randomly from the factory. Brake lever fouling is something you might just want to check. If the new levers clear the fairing...cool, if they don't it's just a few minutes twiddling an allen key
Old 28-Oct-2004, 21:25
Montjuic

Mood: tyred and exhausted
Thanks very much

Thanks very much for all the advice guys.

This has been the first time I have ever started a topic on one of these message boards and I have to say I'm delighted that people took the time to help out.

The levers from Spareshack are now on the Crimbo list so next year's thrash to Mugello should be a little easier on the old hands.

Now all I need is for someone to organise a get together in the West Midlands.