Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Jun-2005, 14:50
Montjuic

Mood: tyred and exhausted
750 Miles On Tuesday

Just to top the other post I thought I'd let you all know about my mega - ride home on Tuesday.

I set off from Chambery intending to overnight in Arras before getting the ferry home yesterday. When I got to Arras the town was fully booked. I was fairly tired at this point but not too aching and I ended up in Calais before I found a decent hotel.

Being that close to England I thought I might as well just get a ferry. After sitting around for an hour and a half waiting and then on the ferry I felt fresh again and although it didn't dock until 10.00 p.m. I thought I'd press on home to Brum.

The bike ran smoothly throughout apart from trouble selecting neutral (could be the adjustable levers I've fitted). I was damn cold though and the reason I didn't post this yesterday was because I was asleep for most of it!

I found the standard seat on my 02 ST4s is getting better with age (although it could be that I'm just numb with age) and I can get 150 miles before the fuel light comes on at a steady 90. I have down geared the bike for better acceleration though.

Having said all that I don't think I'll try it again for at least another year.
Old 10-Jun-2005, 01:34
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Top man i take my hat off to you. I'll bet you felt tired but satisfied when you finally got home.
Old 10-Jun-2005, 19:36
Montjuic

I mostly didn't feel anything by the time I got home!
Old 19-Jun-2005, 10:30
Montjuic

Well done! You b@stard though for well beating my 500 miles! :P That is now quite a challenge to set someone...........!!

This is another good recommendation for the crusing ability of the ST. Talk about the cold.. I did an overnight run from Manchester a couple of months back and even with all the winter gear on I was frozen.. had to stop four times just to warm up a bit.. it was well below 0 and I don't think I have ever been so cold..

Well done!
Old 20-Jun-2005, 01:36
Montjuic

Cheers Dunks. I thought you might have taken the huff when I posted so I was a bit worried.

I'm not sure we should start a mileage challenge though as I was pretty damn tired at the end. It was only because I had my 'get me home' head on that I went for it

You are right about the ST though. It was fantastic on the motorway but still great over the alps. It's a great bike and I've posted some thoughts elsewhere on why I won't be trading it for a multistrada just yet

Keep up the mileage - it shocks loads of people when you tell them you've just done it on a Duke
Old 20-Jun-2005, 09:18
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

Did a San Angelo Texas to Blythe (Arizona/California border) on a 350 A7 Kawasaki in much ess than 24 hours (over a 1000 miles) with a speeding ticket in New Mexico. Aching butt, perhaps carpal tunnel syndrome (lol...no one knew the term back then). COuld probably do the same thing again on my ST4S if it was in the US and the speed limits were what they used to be, but with a lot more comfort. WOuldn't have to carry my own supply of 2-stroke oil either!
Old 20-Jun-2005, 20:58
Montjuic

Unfortunately the playground that was called France has imported the dreaded speed trap.

There was a time when the Gendarmes used to encourage flat out lunacy, or at least turn a blind eye provided it was done with panache and not endangering others .

Now they slap you with heavy on-the-spot fines and confiscate your bike if you don't pay in cash there and then

As for the UK -

So the vast majority of the trip was completed in a state of paranoia , at one point the speed limit was 20 mph on the M25 and I was surrounded with active gatsos . What a hero
Old 21-Jun-2005, 07:14
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

Whew, lucky there. The speed limit at the time I did my ironbutt was 120 mph for TRUCKS at night! (I-10 outside of Phoenix). Nothing like being passed by an 18 wheeler at 130 mph in the middle of the desert....I kind of understood what Jim Morrison was singing about at times.
Old 21-Jun-2005, 11:39
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Interesting post.........

I've been considering a long range raid into Eastern Europe later this summer. I was wondering if 1000 miles in a day was realisitic. I think such a ride would stretch my stamina and concentration to the absolute limits. I'll probably end up getting an evening ferry and trying to knock of 2 or 3 hundred miles that night, so I'm only left with 700 to cover the next day. Be doing it on my 900ss, so perhaps not quite as comfortable as an ST.

Any thoughts on cracking the 1000 mile mark? I reckon doing it in 24 hours is probably doable, with a 5 or 6 hour sleep in the middle. But doing it straight withouth breaks, I'm not sure.
Old 21-Jun-2005, 18:20
Montjuic

Wow - 1k in a day is really BIG miles

IMHO it would only be possible if you stay on the peage / autostradas as you will need to maintain a fairly hefty speed. Even averaging 100 m.p.h you will need 10 straight hours so it will be a long day in the saddle.

I don't think the riding position on the SS is that much more radical than an ST. My partner in crime on my trips used to ride a 916 and now has an Aprilia RSV Mille R Haga Replica and he reckons they are fine!

In theory it's a goer as long as you stick to the plan: stop only when you need petrol, eat and drink a little every stop, don't get side tracked. I have to say I don't think I would try it without some build up practice. Half my annual mileage every year is done on one trip and I try to get a couple of 200 mile + runs in before it. Even so I'm always knackered after the first day on any trip.

Having said that I am a fat old git with diabetes and arthritis so maybe that is the deciding factor

If you do go for it let me know as I'm thinking of going to Brno next year