Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 27-Apr-2006, 13:35
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Thomo
are these rare?

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW...00615231322447

As a 620ss is better for insurance for me

At a price to meet your budget they are rare, any that are going for a price around your budget may well get snapped up for the Desmo Due racing, I wouldn't have thought the 750 version would be that much more to insure as there is only a few bhp in it.
Old 27-Apr-2006, 13:41
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Not particularly rare as such. The rare bit would be that a 2003 bike would usually have more than 900 miles on it.

It's an SSie so it has twin front discs and an injected engine, so all the bits that you might want.

The downside is that if it's only done 900 miles in 3 years, it's almost certainly been stood still for extended periods. That means that unless it's been up on paddock stands the weight of the bike may have left flat spots on the tyres - summat to check, and then there's the cam belts.

Let me tell you about cam belts. They're a toothed rubber belt, reinforced with kevlar and obviously connect the crankshaft to the camshafts. There are two of them, one for each cylinder. Because space is at a premium on a bike, the pulleys that the belts have to wrap around are smaller than they would be on a car and if left standing for extended periods the belts tend to mould themselves around the pulleys and memorise the shape that they've been standing in - which means that you can get lumps and bumps in belts that have stood on a dormant bike.

People think that Ducati cambelts snap of their own accord, but they don't. What happens is that if the belts have developed lumps and bumps through standing inert, they can jump a tooth or two. When that happens the valve timing goes up the swanee and the valves smash into the piston - the belt just happens to break when it can't mash the valve into the piston any harder.

The belt life is 12,000 miles or every two years whichever comes sooner. These figures are on the conservative side, but for a 3 year old bike that's been standing - even with low mileage (especially with low mileage) they'll need doing. The bike will need to have been serviced each year as well so check the service history. Budget for around £300 to get a belt change service and haggle on the price if it ain't been done
Old 27-Apr-2006, 14:02
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Quote:
Originally posted by Thomo
Im thinking of spending £2500ish on one.

Been thinking about this.......

Although I realise the insurance is also something you need to take into consideration, I reckon that your budget should get you a pretty decent bike.

Around 12 months ago I bought a 2002 900ss for the bargain price of £2500. It had only 5,000 miles on the clock, was in reasonable condition (although it looks like it may have been dropped once and then repaired). This was on eBay.

Last week, this half faired 1999 750ss went for £1650 on eBay - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2000-DUCATI-75...cmdZ ViewItem

There was also a 2002 900ss that went for £2350, but I see it has now been relisted.

Anyway, point is, I reckon that for around £2,000 or perhaps less you should be able to find a pretty good injected 750ss. If your insurance is a little steep, well spend the money you've saved from your £2500 budget.

I'd also look for something that had aftermarket exhausts, otherwise that'll be something else you'll need to be spending money on........
Old 27-Apr-2006, 15:11

Cheers guys. Great advice there. I understand a little more about the twin cylinder engine now as Im only used to 4 cylinder upwards on cars.

First thing I'll do is do my bike test then I'll start looking hard!

On the subject of cans, Ive not seen or heard a standard Ducati for quite some time, and Im not sure if they have the nice sound or not that the tuned up ones Ive seen (but obviosuly louder)
Old 27-Apr-2006, 16:46
Mille

Mood: dooM
A 600 Monster was my first big bike. I loved that thing to bits. I would also ignore the usual press compliants of the 600 lacking in performance. As a first big bike, there is plenty there thank-you very much. And you get to ride a Ducati. My Monster would attract more admiring glances than any of the jap sportsbikes ridden by my mates.

Make it so!
Old 01-May-2006, 12:49
Mille

Thomo,sounds like you are taking the exact same route as what i did. What Vespa did you have? Do you still have it?

My first quote was £2200 tp f&t on a new 620 Monster,but then my insurance company told me to join the Vintage Motorcycle Club (£28 per year) as i have a 1976 Rally,and for every classic insured you can put new bikes on the same policy.

I then had the Monster and Rally insured for £319,fully comp,unlimited mileage. Just recently got a new 749 aswell,£28.65 to add it to the policy.

Havent regretted the Monster one bit,as it just feels like a big BMX,and i was riding scooters for about 4 years previous.

I'd say go for it mate,as it's a lot of fun,with more than enough power.