Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Jul-2014, 17:55

Tyre size question 600ss

Hi all, just a quick question has anyone got any info as to wether a 170 60 17 tyre would be an issue on the 600ss the standard fitment is 160 60 17 basically is there clearance issues and would it help rather than hinder
Old 13-Jul-2014, 18:18
Big Twin

The Dunlop's currently used in DD in reality measure 170mm wide even though they are rated as a 160.

I cannot see you having a problem although the theory is a wider tyre will slow down your steering.

Old 13-Jul-2014, 21:44
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowduke
Hi all, just a quick question has anyone got any info as to wether a 170 60 17 tyre would be an issue on the 600ss the standard fitment is 160 60 17 basically is there clearance issues and would it help rather than hinder

I know Steve Byatt has used a 170/60 on his 800SS which uses the same swingarm and there weren't any clearance issues, if you choose a 170 wide Dunlop you will find it's nearer to a 180, which may cause chain clearance issues. If its a 95 to 98 model then this can be easily cured by flipping the front sprocket and using a 900SS Sprocket carrier, if its the earlier 94 engine then you can't do this as the output shaft is shorter and as such the sprocket is already flipped wrt the later bikes.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 14-Jul-2014, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
I know Steve Byatt has used a 170/60 on his 800SS which uses the same swingarm and there weren't any clearance issues, if you choose a 170 wide Dunlop you will find it's nearer to a 180, which may cause chain clearance issues. If its a 95 to 98 model then this can be easily cured by flipping the front sprocket and using a 900SS Sprocket carrier, if its the earlier 94 engine then you can't do this as the output shaft is shorter and as such the sprocket is already flipped wrt the later bikes.

Going to stick with standard tyre sizes thanks for the advice got a good deal on Metzeler Sportec m1 front and m3 rear got to be better than worn out road attacks didn't like them at all
Old 15-Jul-2014, 00:12
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Good choice, the reason I know Steve Byatt had a 170/60 rear in his 800 is because I sold it to him and as it happens it was a Metzeler Sportec

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook