Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Dec-2003, 18:30

748r mods question

Hi

my first post on here..hope u can help

I've got a 748r but with standard alu termi cans (2000 model) and want to know if there is anything I can do to improve performance without upgrading to 45 mm carbon..although I will do this if necessary...has anyone also played about with front sprockets..I know its a bit daft for an r but I would like a bit more low end and mid range grunt

Cheers
Old 13-Dec-2003, 19:39
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Hi Karl, welcome to the board.
When you say Alu termis, do you mean the std. baffled pipes that are fitted as standard? If you do then going to open pipes and upgrading the eprom will release a few ponies...........and it'll sound better.
Like weeksy said though, Carbon, Ti or Alu cans'll make no difference, they just need to be "open".
The 14T front sprocket is a small as you really want to go. You can get 13T but the chain radius runs a bit tight for everyday use.
Changing the rear carrier would make the sprockets cheaper. You have to find a £100 or so for it first, but after that, sprockets are about £25-£30 each.
You should have a 36T rear on? Going to 39 would be a good start.
Old 13-Dec-2003, 22:13

Thanks for the advice..best answer I've got so far..

So, one last one..I would need to fit 50 mm open pipes and a new chip...wouldn't this shove the power up the rev range?

I've heard that I wouldn't need a re-chip with 45mm termis ..or is this just bllx?

Ta for any replies before I go out and spend some cash..
Old 13-Dec-2003, 22:46
Mille

Mood: FIVE!!!!Guess We'll Keep It
Got 50mm Ti Termi's and DP chip.dp chip not best to use but fitted whilst in for service(JHP or FIM supposed to better),bike sounds great and picks up a lot better.As Nelly says going up a couple on the rear is better,should make it a little more usable lower down,haven't done this to mine yet,have to ask Santa to bring me a sprocket carrier!!
Old 14-Dec-2003, 01:38
Mille

Mood: FIVE!!!!Guess We'll Keep It
Think Weeksy getting confused with exhaust systems,my 2000 748r has as standard ali 45mm termi's .50mm came with the 748sps in the crate.2000 748r came with none but to get the best out of the 2000 748r'on, you had to fit a full 50mm system(mainly top end).Just fitted 50mm Ti Termi's to my 2000 748r.These fit over the upright pipes rather than inside.Maybe later model 748r had different diameter headers but don't think so.Pt numbers for '00 model and '02 model headers the same,so exhausts will be the same.996/998r had 50mm pipes as standard i think?
Old 14-Dec-2003, 01:55
500SD

Hi Karl,

Let's clear up this exhaust size issue once and for all. 748R has 45mm standard exhaust, not 50mm!!!!

I've got the same bike as you and been there, seen it and done it exhaust wise. I initially replaced the standard cans and balance pipes with Termi 45-50mm half system (big improvement), then a full 50mm system (even better) and I've now moved on again.

For the money, the 45-50mm half system is great value, more grunt and sounds bleedin' marvelous!

The best chips on the market are arguably the FIM Ultimap chips. Really good straight out the box but they are also mapable so you can fine tune for optimum power delivery.

As for the bottom end power, that's the nature of the beast, although a 39T rear will help make it "feel" better. The 748R was basically manufactured solely to homologate the 748RS race bike. In essence it is actually a detuned 748RS - the RS is not a tuned R! So there's the main problem with running an R on the road. Ducati had to make a bike that sort of works OK on the road but still be able to race it in RS spec within the very strict confines of Supersport regs. More than any other Duc, the 748R lives to be thrashed! Keep it above 7K and it all makes sense. Awful around town though!

Hope that helps, if you want any more info drop me a line.

Cheers,

Neil.

P.S. I've got an FIM Ultimap chip for the 45-50mm half system, which for the right price, I could be persuaded to part with.
Old 14-Dec-2003, 10:48
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Have to agree with neil on the chips. The FIM are very good, if a little expensive. The DP stuff is not that good at all and for VFM JHP eproms are the best.
You pays ya' money and all that
I have 50mm half systems in for not a lot, relatively of course, but depending on branding, expect up to £700 or £800 depending on the "sticker".
If you need any more info, drop us a mail.
Old 14-Dec-2003, 11:51
Mille

Mood: The medication helps!
Hi Karl,

John Hackett (JHP) does his own 52mm half system at a good price, i have them on mine and they sound great and the bike responds a lot better.

If you are looking for a bit more bottom and mid rainge i would seriousley consider an 853 conversion, did mine and i cannot overstate the difference it made.

i know it's all money but you don't have to do it all at once and it gives you things to look forward to.

Hope this helps you, have fun.

Mark
Old 14-Dec-2003, 14:30
Mille

Mood: Up For It!
Hi Mate, I have a 748R which I have owned since new (3 and a half years ago). Started off as my road bike, but for past two years has been track only. I originally ran std system then upgraded to DP Termignoni 50mm cans with the 45-50 balance pipe, in my humble view this is the best combination for low end grunt and a decent top end. Having ssubsequently changed to a full 50mm system inc headers (as I am racing the bike I need as many horses as I can get) I can confirm that this gives a little more top end but very noticeably at the expense of low and to a lesser extent mid range power and rideability. In respect of Chips I have tried and run on my bike DP - great if you like massive flat spots everywhere and a strangled feel to the top end. FIM - v.expensive, nice and smooth but lacking a bit in top end. JHP - far and away best value, good rideability through the rev range and a real kick at the top end. If you want any more info drop me an email or u2u - I've done quite a bit to this bike including putting a conrod through the side of the motor whilst flat out!
Regards,
Garry.
p.s. - If you are interested I still have the DP Termi system 50mm with 45-50 balance pipe in vgc in original Ducati packaging at sensible price.
Old 14-Dec-2003, 16:14

Thanks

Thanks for all the info..

So I need a 45-50mm balance pipe..(that's the bit between headers and cans)
and 50mm cans plus a JHP chip for more noise..

I had noticed that nothing much happened below 6k revs and just wanted to try and get rid of that sort of sinking feeling sometimes when you crack it open..think freer breathing pipes would do this as apparently they're a bit over rich on the stockers and this might be the problem..although as a problem it's not that much of one..

THanks all

I rather liked weeky's advice to do nothing..as it would be cheaper.. but hey, what are Ducatis for if not a full on reason for divorce..