Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 02-Nov-2009, 17:25
500SD

Mood: Come on spring!!!
Smile My Winter Project

For the last few years ive been looking and watching the net with great interest and admiration specials building. Especially RG500 conversions.

As my first bike was a stroker (RS250) and much prefered watching the days of Haga and Rossi etc knocking each other about on the NSR YZR and RGV 500s iv wanted to build a rep for a few years.

So while i was on holiday in september i saw an ad on ebay were a guy had already gathered parts to build such conversion. he had a complete RG400 and rgv250 rolling chassis and a whole host of spares. I made a deal with him and snapped them up. Ive sold off all the parts i dont need and almost recouped all my money initially laid out but have a complete Rg400 motor all wiring and cdis, saec, and bits. All RGV gear. Ive started making engine mounts and a cardle at work. But then i saw the ultimate engine advertised. I already planned on rebuilding my engine to a similar spec and this would cost as much as i have paid for a complete fresh engine built by probably the worlds most respected RG tuner. Its predicted to produce around 130bhp.

Heres a few pics not really got stuck into it yet but will update when i have made progress for those interested!!

Chris
Old 02-Nov-2009, 17:52
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Nice one, I look forward to seeing the development of it.
Old 02-Nov-2009, 18:12
GTL
Bikes: Ducati 888, Suzuki RG500, Triumph Preunit

Mood: On the up
It was you that bought the Dent motor then! The guy can certainly build quick RG engines. My near stocker RG500 has a SS Stage 3 so about 30hp less than your Dent engine. Have you joined the RG500 mailing list as there are lots of people on there who have built RGV specials? Shame you are not a bit closer to Nottingham as a shared Ducati/RG interest would make for a few nice beers!!

Certainly look forward to updates!

Keith
Old 02-Nov-2009, 18:20
500SD

RGs

Hi Keith,
Yes was me big hole in pocket now until i sell the 400 motor!!
Ive been on the RGV forum for some time, theres a few people that have built them lurking on there. Have not seen the Mailing list tho!
Nottingham isnt to far only an hour away.

I originally planned a gsxr swingarm as seen in the pics, but have seen that a late model R6 (06) swingarm looks much more sibstancial in replicating the GP look.
Old 02-Nov-2009, 18:34
GTL

You should get good money for the 400 engine which should offset the cost of the Dent engine a bit. The mailing list is on http://edj.net/gammalist and worth a look.

I've (hopefully) attached a pic of mine as it is at the moment. I rebuilt the whole thing 10 years ago and the chassis/brakes are currently being refreshed. Funnily enough the engine didn't need anything doing!

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RG500.JPG (142.3 KB, 26 views)
Old 02-Nov-2009, 18:44
500SD

RGs

She looks good Keith, probably a good job it didnt need any work as rebuilds are mega expensive as you will know!

Im just using the 400 motor to get my engine mounts ligned up then will rebuild it to sell.
Old 02-Nov-2009, 18:58
GTL

Yes, definately expensive but still probably cheaper than rebuilding a Ducati engine! My one blow up was a few years back when I detonated a piston after an extended session keeping up with a rather quickly ridden 916. Fortunately, the recently re-bored barrel was pretty good once I'd dissolved the melted piston off. The costs for that rebuild were actually less than belts/oil etc for the 888 that year. Its certainly worth running a bit rich on the mains if you are planning on doing track days as they don't like running WOT for long. Hopefully, we can meet up at some point! Theres usually one or more track day meets organised each year on the mailing list.

Fingers crossed your conversion goes without too many hitches.

Keith
Old 03-Nov-2009, 21:41
500SD
Bikes: 848 EVO & Multi 1000ds

Mood: When's the sun coming out
Must be something in the air as i am having a yearing for a 250 2 stroke. RGV or RS. Leaning more towards the rs to keep with the italian vehicle theme we currently have.