Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Jan-2011, 01:04
Mille

Mood: building the beast
Starting the rebuild

Hi all,

Some of you may remember me from several years ago. I purchased a mint 2002 748s from another user and lived out my Ducati fantasy. I loved this bike and took great pride in looking after her. I was inolved in an accident around 5 years ago which wrote her off. The front end was ripped off wreaking the headstock. I got the bike back from the insurance company with the intention of rebuilding her one day. Well i've finally mad a start striping and buying parts. There is still a lot to do but thought i'd post some pics up. I'm sure there will be loads of silly questions along the way and would be greatful for any help you guys can give.

After getting the engine out i started cleaning and stripping off the loose paint

I've begun to tart some bits up

I plan of doing the work myself over time and painting up various parts as i go along. Most will be rattle can due to cost but will see how we go.
Old 12-Jan-2011, 01:10
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Might be worth popping the back off that starter motor and checking how much life is left in gthe brushes

Nice project to be getting on with during the crap weather

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 12-Jan-2011, 01:15
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Might be worth popping the back off that starter motor and checking how much life is left in gthe brushes

Nice project to be getting on with during the crap weather

The engines only done 6k miles. Do you think it'll be ok?
Old 12-Jan-2011, 08:34
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
Hi Chris

Good luck with your rebuild. Keep the pictures coming, always interested in other peoples projects.
Old 04-Mar-2011, 19:18
Mille

Not that much to report as yet. Painted the headlight surround

And i've got some primer on the frame. Still undecided on the final colours of the bike but the frame will be red.

Whats the best place to get head bearings for an adjustable headstock?
Old 05-Mar-2011, 17:29
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
Hi Chris,

I've at the same stage as you in that I've just had my frame stripped and am underway getting it resprayed.

Re. the head bearings, I went for tapered roller bearing as an upgrade to the standard OEM ones. Reading some of the US forums they're supposed to be excellent.

I got mine from Speedy Moto in the states last week. The were ordered on the Monday and arrived from the states on Wednesday. Paid £18 duty to DHL on top of the cost price. ORder detail with part numbers is below.

Regards, Guy

Code Name Quantity Price/Ea. Total
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
03-02TB-1 Tapered Bearing Upgrade Kit - Fits all Superbikes 94- current, all Monsters 2002-current and Monster 1 $59.95 $59.95
Shipping: U.S.P.S. Express Mail® International (EMS): $42.75
Sales Tax: $0.00
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total: $102.70

www.copeimages.com

WeeJohnyB, Best instructor out there http://www.nolimitstrackdays.com/
Old 05-Mar-2011, 19:20
Mille

Hi Guy, Just seen you're only up the road from me. Small world! They seem pretty expensive for head bearings. There must be a place in the UK to source some?
Old 05-Mar-2011, 19:45
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris99
Hi Guy, Just seen you're only up the road from me. Small world! They seem pretty expensive for head bearings. There must be a place in the UK to source some?

Pretty sure there is, as I replaced the caged ball bearing races in my S2R with Taper Rollers, I will see if I have the info anywhere.

Set of Standard ones on Ebay but they are £75
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUCATI-genuine...em1c174 652b1

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 05-Mar-2011, 21:12
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike
respect is due. It will be interesting to follow progress.
Old 06-Mar-2011, 17:55
Mille

I got all excited by the nice day and when i got home from work i put a bit of colour on one side of the frame. I wish i had somewhere to hang it so i could do both sides at the same time. Wonder if the washing line would take it lol. It'll take a couple of coats to cover fully but i'm happy so far. The colour is Ford radient red from Halfrauds. Its not that far away from Ducati red to be honest - Maybe a touch brighter?. Will see what the next coat does. In all it'll be much cheaper than a pro job anyway.