Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 28-Dec-2005, 18:24
Mille

Mood: 1st,start to finish
Front fork height.

Anyone no what the front fork height is above the top yoke on a 583.Photos show 4 rings mines on 6 but set by a vertically challenged person and the handbook says nothing.Any ideas
Old 28-Dec-2005, 19:13
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Reading through my DD diary from last year it looks as if I had 20mm protruding before I started playing with different preload spacers.

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/xm...5043#pid216513
Old 28-Dec-2005, 19:38
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
It's not that easy - depends on your springs, oil, air gap, valve changes and any other mods you've done. Then there's the back end to worry about, before even considering your own weight and the weight distribution to take into account.

Just set it at something (like in the middle) and see how it goes for your testing, then adjust from there. Sounds simple/silly/unhelpful, but that's the only thing you can adjust on the track!
Old 28-Dec-2005, 20:46
Mille

Mood: 1st,start to finish
Thanks for that chaps.I think theres more to this than i thought.Anyone no where the road bike would be set as standard.

Enjoyed both of your diarys by the way and made a donation as you requested Antonye.
Thanks again
Old 29-Dec-2005, 12:57
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Quote:
Originally posted by Griff 64
Anyone no what the front fork height is above the top yoke on a 583.Photos show 4 rings mines on 6 but set by a vertically challenged person and the handbook says nothing.Any ideas

Don't forget to look up the posts Re: front tyre profile, you can use a 60 or 70. The 70 profile front is 12mm bigger but I think the general consensus is it's the one to go with.
there is also some info on the sigma site wear they suggest that rather than dropping the bike you should be looking to raze it a little at both ends.

Good luck with the fiddling

Old 29-Dec-2005, 14:29
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Quote:
Thanks for that chaps.I think theres more to this than i thought.Anyone no where the road bike would be set as standard.

Enjoyed both of your diarys by the way and made a donation as you requested Antonye.
Thanks again

Nice one

I think a lot of it is down to personal preference. I started off with 3 rings showing on mine as a base setting, to get some more ground clearance and hopefully sharpen the steering a bit more.

As it was my first time out with the bike built, it felt fine and I didn't want to change it until after about 4 rounds, when I dropped the forks through another line (now 2 showing) to make it turn a bit quicker, but to be honest there was not really much difference!

You'll get the bigger gain by sending your forks away to someone who knows what they're doing and can setup the springs, oil and airgap for your dimensions and the tracks you're on, and what feels right, rather than worrying about what everyone else is doing!
Old 29-Dec-2005, 15:51
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
Quote:
Originally posted by antonye
Quote:

Thanks again

Nice one

I think a lot of it is down to personal preference. I started off with 3 rings showing on mine as a base setting, to get some more ground clearance and hopefully sharpen the steering a bit more.

As it was my first time out with the bike built, it felt fine and I didn't want to change it until after about 4 rounds, when I dropped the forks through another line (now 2 showing) to make it turn a bit quicker, but to be honest there was not really much difference!

You'll get the bigger gain by sending your forks away to someone who knows what they're doing and can setup the springs, oil and airgap for your dimensions and the tracks you're on, and what feels right, rather than worrying about what everyone else is doing!

Going fron 3 showing to 2 showing would slow the steering not speed it up, admittedly it would be hard to tell a difference as that much is a tiny amount.
Old 29-Dec-2005, 15:52
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally posted by couchcommando
Going fron 3 showing to 2 showing would slow the steering not speed it up, admittedly it would be hard to tell a difference as that much is a tiny amount.

You sure about that? Which way are the forks going?
Old 29-Dec-2005, 16:30
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Yes he's got you there Ant, think you got your foo-kin and your yoking ass up.
If you drop the yoke you see moor rings sticking out the top thus you have theoretically quickened your steering unless you have changed your tyre from the standard 60 profile to a 12mm biger 70mm in which case you would need to drop the yoke down the forks just to get the headstock back to the same position. unless that is you raze the rear instead. That way you gain ground clearance front and rear and at the same time raze the C of G which should help the bike turn.

If that's not right I am sure I will be corrected shortly
Old 31-Dec-2005, 08:22
500SD

Mood: www.kylebennettmedia.com
I thought a higher CoG makes the bike more difficult to initiate the turn in but it drops quicker once it's moving? Then a higher CoG will corner round a given radius with less lean angle than something with a lower CoG?

Meh