Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 03-Jun-2006, 21:58
Mille

Trade 748 for MV Augusta F4 750 ?

Trying to decide whether or not to trade in my 748 BP for an MV Augusta. I like the 748 and the fact it rumbles right through you when you ride it and the view from the front, but I think the back end view looks pretty dated now.

Thoughts ?
Old 03-Jun-2006, 23:13
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
at least your going for the next best option, if i had to buy another make of bike it would be the mv 750, saw 1 today and they look gorgeous

you could always buy a seat unit off a mv on eaby and fit it to the duke, straight swap i beleive
Old 03-Jun-2006, 23:54
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
Wink

Have you ridden one yet? What did you think? I'm very tempted too but so far I've not heard many good words about what they're like to ride. Come to that, haven't ridden a 748 either. I'm not helping, am I? I think they look gorgeous though and much as I adore my 996 shape I have to agree, it's starting to look a bit out date. But then, so am I so who cares!
Old 04-Jun-2006, 08:08
Ducati Corse

MV Agusta F4

I had a new Evo 3 750S on which I did about 4,000 miles. Beautiful build quailty, stunning to look at, makes a fantastic noise, the handling is absolutely excellent with quick accurate steering and a very solid planted feel to the front end, the brakes are superb, however ...

The engine is gutless. I had a power commander fitted to mine and it pushed the peak power to 122bhp but it was all crammed into the last 3000 rpm before the red-line. Below that you get an initial surge up to 4000 then the mother of all flat spots until about 7000 when it starts to pick up. The engine vibrates quite badly throughout the range and the throttle is very heavy which soon gets tiring on any reasonable trip.

I sold mine and bought a 996R
Old 04-Jun-2006, 08:14
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

The MV is a great bike to ride, very precise but obviously needs a lot more revs to deliver it's power so many ex. Ducati riders consider them underpowered. You can't ride the massive torque like you can with the big "L" twin but it's really fun spinning it up and hearing it howl once you get your head round the power coming in at the sort of revs where your Dook would be at full steam.

Mine is one of the early 750's and more than powerful enough to have a lot of fun with, some have complained about them being underpowered but maybe I just got a good 'un. I've had it from new and ran it in fairly hard (without thrashing it of course) so maybe it's a bit looser than some others. It really does make a difference how you run a bike in, even with modern engine design IMHO. It's what the next generation of Ducati's may have looked like if Mr. T hadn't left when he did.

IMHO the 996 shape will never look out of date, it was a stunning design when it came out and will always rate as one of the most fantastic machines built.

Always wanted both the Dook and MV peeking out at me when I lifted the garage door so with the 996R and MVF4 I've achieved that, with the ST3 thrown in for good measure when we want to go touring two up.

http://www.multirole-eng.com

http://www.audicator.com Check out our simple to fit, potentially life saving turn signal alert system.

Last edited by Paul James : 04-Jun-2006 at 08:19.
Old 04-Jun-2006, 13:58
Mille

Interesting that an MV rear end will fit the 748. I am really hoping that Ducati do a restyled 748 for 2007.
Old 21-Jun-2006, 22:33
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
Always fancied an MV. Well that and a Ducati 996 etc. 1 down, 1 to go. Maybe one day I will get me one of those farsand cc ones. Fingers crossed?

DC
Old 22-Jun-2006, 09:07
Big Twin

Mood: I've just ordered a new bike and its a ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henners
I had a new Evo 3 750S on which I did about 4,000 miles. Beautiful build quailty, stunning to look at, makes a fantastic noise, the handling is absolutely excellent with quick accurate steering and a very solid planted feel to the front end, the brakes are superb, however ...

The engine is gutless. I had a power commander fitted to mine and it pushed the peak power to 122bhp but it was all crammed into the last 3000 rpm before the red-line. Below that you get an initial surge up to 4000 then the mother of all flat spots until about 7000 when it starts to pick up. The engine vibrates quite badly throughout the range and the throttle is very heavy which soon gets tiring on any reasonable trip.

I sold mine and bought a 996R

And not as quick as my 748R eh Henners.
Old 23-Jun-2006, 00:59
888 at Last !!!

Do it