Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Apr-2006, 01:06
500SD

Mood: 900 went 999 gone, Multi came and went, 749 Nero now
Front end feels wrong

I'm hoping my new 999 (second hand) that I just rode home simply has the wrong pressure in the front tyre.
It felt completly wrong in the turns, feeling like the front was going to tuck in at any moment, I had to push the inside bar quite hard to make it feel better. Just rode 130 miles on it so isn't 'new bike new feel' syndrome. ( i test a new one last week and it felt superb straight off)
It all just feels 'wrong' and very off putting, if I had been on my old 900ss I would have tore it apart in the bends.
Tyre wear maybe?, head angle setting?
I'll check through things at the weekend but thought I'd sound off here first.
PS Boy it's fast, I was'cruising' home through thetford forest area and looked down to see I was doing 80+
God I fear for my licence
Old 28-Apr-2006, 01:31
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
sound like tyre if it's that bad, How many miles has the front tyer done on it.
Old 28-Apr-2006, 02:22
Mille

Check all the suspension settings and return them to the factory settings (rear ride heigth, fork tube heigth, steering head angle, sag, etc... )to rule out anthing. Take it from there. Tires also.
Old 28-Apr-2006, 07:27
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by galaxy
Check all the suspension settings and return them to the factory settings (rear ride heigth, fork tube heigth, steering head angle, sag, etc... )to rule out anthing. Take it from there. Tires also.
Yep,it does'nt take much fiddling to turn a bike into a ill handling tea trolley.Put her back to standard and see how she goes.
All the origional settings are in the handbook,...you can download one off the ducati website,if you dont have one.
Old 28-Apr-2006, 09:25
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
it sounds like someones used the section 8 setup guide which drops forks through yokes and raises rear or has swapped to steeper head angle. Out of the crate the 999 is very stable, usually people complain they can't get it to turn, check how many lines are showing on the forks above the yoke, factory is 1 - 2 , S8 goes to 4 , rear ride height, max length of tie bar is 285mm, make sure its that or less. it could be the owner has had softer springs fitted to fork allowing front to sit lower, you may be heavier and front is now sagged more and thus steeper and sharper, tie wrap round fork, sag should be 30 -35mm static with you on bike. pull adjustors back to factory setings and get geometry back to normal then test. as has been said it could be tyre pressure or a worn tyre.
Old 28-Apr-2006, 09:43
Montjuic

Good advice but you didn't say if you actually checked the tyre pressure? if its used think simple first check pressures and for signs of weeping fork seals, chain adjustment etc.

As suggested above return to factory settings and start again.

Regards

DaveO
Old 28-Apr-2006, 10:00
500SD

Mood: 900 went 999 gone, Multi came and went, 749 Nero now
Thanks guys
Tyre pressure was ok, so will check suspension setting next.
The guy who had it before was a an ex-racer, my clue about possible head angle change was when the guy told me how he had raised the back end of his s4rs to make it turn faster. (i have u2u'd him)
It does feel crazy, as soon as you turn into, lets say a 1st 2nd gear corner it tries to go to full lock.
Think I'll give tecmoto a ring and see if they can sort for me
Old 28-Apr-2006, 10:30
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
feel free to pop round and try mine out for both settings and feel if you are happy taking it out with race shift pattern. (and a dodgy clutch, and dodgy tyres)
Old 28-Apr-2006, 10:38
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
get Weeksy to test it for you, he's the suspension expert!
Old 28-Apr-2006, 10:45
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Sounds like the suspension settings are all to cock, especially if it's ex-racer owned.

Get it back to standard and it should be a lot better.