Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Apr-2005, 15:07

Power Commander

Has anyone tried a Power Commander on a 748R.

With the standard chip and Termi's (which is apparently the correct comdination) it bogs down when trying a quick start and if you over do it, it sounds like the clutch plates are going to disintegrate. Also there is a two stroke-esque surge after a flat spot at 4000rpm, the surge I like, the flat spot I don't.

I am thinking about fitting a Power Commander to try and bring the power down the range a little, go up a few teeth on the back sprocket and fit new sintered clutch plates.

If anyone has been down this road I would love to hear you comments.

[Edited on 22-4-2005 by ambl0001]
Old 22-Apr-2005, 18:06
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

The starting problem suggests something is out of spec so your first step is to have your dealer use a Mathesis to check TPS and other sensors, sync the butterflys, set CO, airbleeds etc.

I'd also have the cams degreed.

I'm assuming also you're running Pipercross or oiled stock air runner filters to avoid stealing volume from that huge airbox, on of the reasons for which is filling-in that mid-range hole..

The dip at 4-5,000 is characteristic of the 748R. Experienced tuners have had only limited success in minimizing it. A Power Commander and seat-of-the-pants dyno work won't give you a better result.

So yes, lots of people have been down this road. Here's a good place to start.

http://moto-one.com.au/performance/748r45ex.html

http://moto-one.com.au/performance/748r.html

http://moto-one.com.au/performance/748rnoport.html
Old 22-Apr-2005, 18:31
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Give Nelly a ring ... he's an authorised Power Commander centre.
Cornerspeed
Old 22-Apr-2005, 18:49

Cheers

The Moto-One site makes for interesting reading, got me really excited until I realised it was Australian (was about to book my bike in).
Old 22-Apr-2005, 19:24
Montjuic
Bikes: 996s; KTM500SX

Cheap Power Commanders in the US

Have you thought about gettin a PC from the USA? The dollar rate is so good at the moment that it makes it worthwhile.

Try MD Racing
(309) 526-3246
www.mdracingstp.com

I got one from them and they send it over as a 'gift' so no TAX and it cost me $289.99 inc shipping which is £156.27 !!

Cheers
Glenn
Old 22-Apr-2005, 19:32
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
I did the same from a shop on Ebay, cost about the same £155 or so
Old 23-Apr-2005, 02:10
Ducati Corse

Had a PC fitted today to my MV 750 F4 EVO 3 by Crescent Suzuki at Verwood to cure the flat spot between 4500 and 7000 revs. First run on a completely standard bike showed 114bhp and 53ftlbs torque but the fueling was way too rich almost everywhere. Andy the technician said he could sort it and 32 dyno runs later (yep ... if she ain't run in now she never will be ) we have a bespoke fuel map that is beautiful, 123bhp and 59ftlbs. The flat spot is just about gone and the motor now picks up perfectly from 4000 in all the gears, especially 4th which is the most useful for fast road riding.

I didn't go looking for extra power but I'm not complaining. The reason for relating the story is that I'm amazed what a PC can achieve. 123bhp from a 750 ain't bad, especially as I am running a standard exhaust/filter. Hope it can solve your 748R woes as effectively ambl.