Mille

Mood: building the beast
i have posted pics of the damage

They are here

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=19095

How dead do you all think it is?
Old 28-Apr-2005, 12:14
Big Twin

It looks messy, but.....I'd have a crack at rebuilding it.

That headstock looks ( I did say looks) OK, though the inner barrel will be mashed (replaceable). Are there any fluids leaking out anywhere?

A new front end, radiator, plastics with a few ancilliary bits and you could be back on the road.

How handy with a set of spanners are you?

Call Jim at bike enders and see what bits he has.
Old 28-Apr-2005, 12:26
Mille

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr_S
It looks messy, but.....I'd have a crack at rebuilding it.

That headstock looks ( I did say looks) OK, though the inner barrel will be mashed (replaceable). Are there any fluids leaking out anywhere?

A new front end, radiator, plastics with a few ancilliary bits and you could be back on the road.

How handy with a set of spanners are you?

Call Jim at bike enders and see what bits he has.

I am So glad you posted that. I was out there looking at it the other day and was wondering if the inner of the headstock could come out!! The actual frame LOOKS ok to me but i guess i would have to put it on a jig to check. The front cylinder head has a small bit missing that im worried. about.
Old 28-Apr-2005, 18:59
Mille

Mood: Erratic
I think you would have to explore that hole Chris, you can't have bits of metal floating around the engine, you would end up possibly getting a blocked oil gallery and possibly taking a big end out. Mind you Ducati engines seem to operate fine with lumps of chrome floating around in them!
Old 28-Apr-2005, 19:35
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Chris,

Man, just looked at your pic's .... if you walked away from that you did well. I read about your mate etc ... all the best there as well.

May be a little practical help ... the bikes are easy to strip. If you can get the frame off some one such as Spondon Engineering in Derby will check it out for "beer money" especially if you let him know your TPFT. Once you know the frame is good you have a base to start with.

Holes in engines can be welded when you know there is nothing dropped in the engine.

Re-building could be the chance to build a special rather than back to standard and my be save some cash.

As for your leathers, helmet etc. If you have home contents insurance with accidental damage cover you can claim for damage to personal items such as leathers, helmet, gloves, boots etc.

I think that a mixture of breakers, E-bay and after market goodies would see you back on a trick bike.

I'm near Derby and any help I can offer just ask.

All the best.

[Edited on 28-4-2005 by Carbon749]
Old 28-Apr-2005, 20:11
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Personally I reckon once you start digging in detail you'll find more wrong and it'll cost you big time

Unless you're very handy with spanners, have a pot of cash handy, and a decent garage workshop with decent tools I'd call it quits. You could strip whatever decent parts there are and sell them on eBay?
Old 28-Apr-2005, 20:43
Big Twin

Have a chat with Chrisiball, he's rebuilt a 748R in a similar mess

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/xm....php?tid=14312

What does that cover actually close off on the engine casing (Cam bearings I think)? Is there fluid coming out or is it dry behind? If it's dry open it up( may need new bearings just in case), re-weld (JB weld for a temp fix) bolt it back on.

[Edited on 28-4-2005 by Mr_S]
Old 29-Apr-2005, 00:57
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
I'd have a go at repairing it.
To me the frame looks okay. Best thing is to have a real good look alon the length of rhe side tubes, see if you can see any kinks. Maybe try putting a ruler along them.
Then inspect all of the weld points looking for cracked paint. If the paint has cracked chances are the weld has moved.

Sorting the damage to the head isn't a problem imo either. Worst case you have to remove the head and replace it, but there are plenty about in the breakers.

I think the hardest bit will be trying to find all the bits at sensible money.

You might like to think about whether the insurance co is likely to register it as written off. I'm assuming that if you don't claim then they won' register it.
If you do claim it'll almost certainly be a Cat C, and if its a B the you won't get the chance to repair it anyway as they'll not allow you to keep it.
Just a thought.

Best wishes to you and your mates or a speedy recovery, and fingers crossed they stop using the A word around your mate too.
Cheers,
John.
Old 04-May-2005, 17:20
Mille

Hi Guys,

The inspector came to look at my bike and wrote it off as i opened the garage door Its a cat B so well spanked!!

Now i have had a proper look the frame is not right at all. The steel outer of the headstock is oval now! He has left me the bike to get rid of and my solicitor is pretty confident of making a claim from my friends insurance (thefirst to crash and leave oil) The only problem is that he is sedated and has been for the last week so i cant ask him what he thinks to it all. I have just asked the legal bods to hold it all untill further notice untill he is on the mend.

GUTTED
Old 04-May-2005, 17:23
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Bugger mate...

I know it's not easy, but it will get sorted one way or another, and hopefully your mate will pull through and get back on a bike one day.