Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Feb-2005, 11:56
Montjuic

Mood: p*$$ed off
Thinking about getting a Monster

I currrently have a 996s (my dream bike) and as much as I love it to bits I really don't get the opportunity to ride it as much as I'd like. It's not the sort of bike to commute into London on every day so I've been (reluctantly) thinking about selling it and getting something more practical for every day use.

I sat on an S2R at the Ally Pally show this year and really liked the riding position - although it's difficult to tell what they're like to ride just from that.

I'm conscious that I've been spoilt with the grunt of the 996 and I don't want to feel like I'm riding a weezy bike like the smaller capacity Monsters might feel in comparison. Which model of the Monsters have what engines? Is it right that the S4R has the 998 motor in it? How would the 750 or 800 compare to my 996s? Anyone made the same change?

Thanks.
Old 05-Feb-2005, 12:42
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
The S4R has the 996 engine so will be similar to yours although the intake and zorst are different it sounds very powerful by all accounts the gearing is low to i think.

The S2R has the same torque nearly as my 748s but due to the 2 valve motor has less top end but it looks less cluttered and is cheaper to.

I to am thinking of a monster next if i stay with ducati
go for the S4r I think
Old 05-Feb-2005, 14:41
500SD

Mood: On top of the world
Have you looked at the Multistrada ? Probably a better commuter than the Monster if you're wanting a Duc. has the 1000DS engine in it.
Old 05-Feb-2005, 16:30
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse SE, Evoluzione 2 ....

Mood: Dementor hunted by Foggy :)
Quote:
Originally posted by clockwork orange
Have you looked at the Multistrada ? Probably a better commuter than the Monster if you're wanting a Duc. has the 1000DS engine in it.

I'll second that, the Multi ain't short of grunt and you can ride it all day in comfort
Old 05-Feb-2005, 17:18
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Quote:
Originally posted by DementorI'll second that, the Multi ain't short of grunt and you can ride it all day in comfort

Or you could ride it in the UK as well!
Old 05-Feb-2005, 17:28
500SD

Mood: Corners like a Lego man
I had an S4 (with 916 engine) and was very happy with it. Plenty of pulling power and at the top end as well (though I know it had been detuned from the sportsbike 916 engines).

I've now changed to a Multistrada mainly because the Monster had a very small pillion seat and I wanted to do more 2-up rides with my wife (in comfort [it's a great place when you get there ] ).

Now having experienced both bikes, I have noticed the MS engine is better lower down in the rev. range whereas the S4 was a bit 'snatchy' below 4K revs. The S4 was great once the engine was spinning up, but then you weren't doing commuting speeds!! I'd agree with Clockwork Orange about the MS being a better commuter, but the S4/S4R will be closer in performance characteristics to your 996.
Old 05-Feb-2005, 17:44
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
and the M1000 has the same engine at the multistrimmer - it has better power delivery than the S4, not as snatchy.

If you have the dosh, go for the multi as a commuter - as has already been said - its got more 'home comforts'.

If not got the dosh, then next my recco would be a 2nd hand or new M1000 (contrary to rumours, they have not been discontinued - just the 'S' model' ) then an S4.
However: on the roads I use for work, I wouldnt commute on my M1000 - I'd buy a M600/620 for that - so what I have said above would only relate if you didnt have a short/stop-start journey to work (I think )

If wanting lower CC for cheaper insurance then maybe consider the M900 (ie models) - can pick up for about £2,500 - 4)

Also boils down to if you want an aircooled or if you like the plumbing on show.

I think you could have fun on the S2R - but it might 'pale' after a while - and it is also made as a 'budget' bike, so usual 4 pots are gone - replacement 2 pots instead, and various other parts cut back on.

My suggestion?

Keep the 996 for sunny summer - and buy a M??? for commuting on (if you have the dosh , that is!)

Happy shopping

C
Old 05-Feb-2005, 19:22
Montjuic

Mood: p*$$ed off
Thanks for the replies.

The main problem I'm having with the 996 is justifying keeping it. It's in such fantastic condition that it's a real shame to risk 'something bad' happening to it.

I know, I know... it's an inanimate object, a piece of machinery, designed to be ridden etc. etc. but that's how I feel about it and I can't seem to shake it off. I suppose it's a bit like people saying you should never meet your heroes, well I got my dream bike and now I'm scared to ride it for fear that the worst might happen. I've been a biker for 10 years and had allsorts of bikes but never felt like this before although I'm sure that if it was a bit tatty I wouldn't be so worried.

All this started when I did a trackday at Rockingham last September. The morning was wet and people were dropping like flies out on track but even when it dried up in the afternoon I was so scared of lobbing the bike I didn't really enjoy myself.

I've thought that with the money I've got tied up in it (£6500-£7000) I could get a Monster AND a track bike which would give me the best of both worlds. A Duc for the road and something to thrash on track that I wouldn't be too worried about binning.

I'm not that keen on the looks of the "Multistrimmer" (LOL, like that one CK). It's ok I suppose but not quite my cup of tea so I won't be getting one of those.

This, however, looks the dog's danglies! (That paintjob is just wicked ).

So... there's my predicament. All suggestions gratefully received. I just wish I could afford to keep the 996 and get a Monster aswell.
Old 05-Feb-2005, 20:00
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Eccles - if its any help at all - the track conditions/weather did diddly wotsit for my confidence too - particularly after the back, and then the front end let go - enough to make me bimble off to the garage

have slightly improved since then - but each time I have gone out on wet roads since, I am very 'aware' - if you understand???
Today was good - dry roads, and I was almost back to my old self again on the bends.

What ever you do, do think long & hard first - and get some dry miles in too.
I think whatever you have - you will still retain some of your worries - and if your 996 is worth £6,5 - 7 - thats wot I paid for my M1000 this time last year - and I'd need the same to replace it......

go & get some dry miles in - am sure you will feel better about bike - spring is a coming

edited to say: I spent my spare pennies (& savings) on a replacement car for work - it makes me appreciate my biking time more.
Ideawhat about another make of bike for commuting? - like a fazer/bandit 600?????
C
xx

[Edited on 5-2-2005 by CK and AK]
Old 06-Feb-2005, 00:09
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
I had monster 1000s with the 1000ds engine as loan bike when i got my 748s serviced it was more lumpy lowdown but the torque when u opened it up was wicked

Really pulled on your arms like