Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-May-2005, 15:12
Mille

Mood: Super (moto!)
I chopped my 748 in for the 'berg, as I fancied a change.
Just trying to get to grips whith her.
I feel like a kid again, slow speeds, but the shove when you gas her is amazing.
I was a little sceptical at first, but now having spent 2x sessions on the track, I need to start pushing her limits a little now.
She wants to pick up her front wheel everywhere, especially 3rd which is such a hoot!
Been doing some limited road work, but need some more basic tuition and then I want to take her racing.
The 2 clubs I have sourced have v'different and much more relaxed rules than say New Era, and levels E-A so noivces can progress upwards in a non-threatening enviroment, which sounds comforting!
Chose the 'Berg as I do not like orange and to be honest everyone seems to know KTM , and in the same way that I chose a 748 over an R6, the 'Berg just looked the business with no concessions made, no excuses and a bit more hardcore.
Come'on - Iam 40 after all!

Fun!

Tim

[Edited on 20-5-2005 by aws]
Old 20-May-2005, 21:28
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Aws whats the little lever for that sits next to the clutch lever?
Old 20-May-2005, 21:32
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon

My guess would be a decompression lever to help you kick start it. Big singles are notoriously difficult to kick start.
Old 20-May-2005, 21:41
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Quote:
Originally posted by TP
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon

My guess would be a decompression lever to help you kick start it. Big singles are notoriously difficult to kick start.

Oh yes, I can confirm that! When my 'little' 500 Gilera had a flat battery I had to kickstart her-what a little bitch.
Back in the 60's-before most of you were born-I had a BSA DBD34 500 Goldstar-it's party trick used to be to chuck you over the handlebars if you didn't get the starting procedure right.........

John
Old 20-May-2005, 21:45
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
I had a TT500 make miss the first round of our conference basetball. Sprained my ankle and sat me on top of the bars.
Old 21-May-2005, 10:40
Mille

Mood: Super (moto!)
It's a nitros booster rocket cleverly disguised as a decompression lever!

Well, mid revs in any gear, and gas her hard and you'd best be awake 'cause she'll try and rip your arms off at the sockets and lift the front wheel in the process!

It can be a bit of a effort / technique to get it right, meaning you need the piston TDC and heave your left foot south. The chain's also on the wrong side - right - so many people seem to have an issue with kicking her over with their left. Getting the hang of it now, although re-starting her when she's warm is a problem at times.

If you opt for a bump start, get a mate to give it all he's got, select 2nd, dump the clutch and be gentle on the throttle once she's caught or the front end will point skyward!

Tim