Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Oct-2006, 16:00
GTL

Mood: Annoyed and confused
2002 750ss Dark

Anything particular to look at if I was buying one?

Seems to be lowish mileage.
Old 27-Oct-2006, 16:10
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Even if it's lowish mileage, make sure it's been regularly serviced with belts and stuff checked over.

Contrary to popular belief, Ducatis respond better to being regularly ridden than stuck inside. If they're stored for long periods of time, without the engine being turned over, the cam belts start to take on the shape of the pulleys (cos they're quite a tight radius) and get a little lumpy bit in the belt. This can cause the belt to slip a tooth with dire consequences for the engine. So, if it's a 2002 bike with low mileage, check that the belts have been changed recently, or allow for a belt change in the price you bargain at.

Changing the belts is no problem on a two valver. I think it's about £40 for a pair of belts and about an hours work for anybody who's reasonably confident at spannering.

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 27-Oct-2006, 17:12
888 at Last !!!

Totally agree with Jools.

I bought a 2001 dark, 750ie full faired, back in May. With only 1000 miles on the clock. It had been stored under a dustcover for years.

I got it checked over along with a belt change and it's been great. I now have me a winter hack.

Clint.
Old 27-Oct-2006, 17:14
Big Twin

When I rode one a while back the rear shock was very stiff and non-compliant indeed, even by Ducati standards.