Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Jun-2006, 22:48
500SD

Removing Rear Shock Advice/pitfalls?

I have just ordered a new rear shock.

The Haynes manual is fairly straight forward regarding removng the shock, so is it really that easy?

What can go wrong what should I look for?

Thanks Mike
Old 27-Jun-2006, 22:51
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
get plenty of WD40 or similar on the bolt at the bottom of the shock that goes through the swing arm.
that is normally the worst bit.
otherwise yep fairly straight forward
Old 27-Jun-2006, 23:18
Big Twin

not sure exactly whatthe haynes manual says now.

i go about it by putting a strap around the sub frame and lifting the rear of the bike from a cross member on the garage roof, just enough to take the weight off a bit, the the bolts just pop out easy when there is no load on them. same to get it back together
Old 27-Jun-2006, 23:29
Mille

Mood: Beige.....
Thumbs up It's easy.

I've removed two in the past couple of months and I have to admit it's so far the easiest bike to remove a shock from.

Obvious, but make sure you support the bike from somewhere other than the rear wheel. I removed the rear brake assembly and stuffed a piece of solid steel tubing in their, then stuffed similar metal in the transmission side where there's a hollow hole under the engine case. Lowered the two pieces of metal onto some axle stands I bought from Halfords for £20.

The shock linkage bolts can be a real b**ch to remove without taking the load from the rear wheel, so I used a piece of long 2x4 wood timber that I levered under the rear wheel while I undid the bolt with me left. Reverse to bolt back together.
Old 27-Jun-2006, 23:31
Mille

remove shock

i FOUND IT FAIRLY EASY. i WOULD PURCHASE 2 AXLE STANDS TO SIT UNDER YOUR FOOT PEGS. THIS TAKES THE WEIGHT OFF THE SWINGARM. REMOVE RIDE HEIGHT ADJUSTER BY UN BOLTING THE BOTTOM AND TOP BOLTS. REMOVE TOP SHOCK. SIMPLE.
Old 28-Jun-2006, 21:01
500SD

Talking

Thanks everyone for the quick and reassuring replies.

I have an eazyrizer http://www.bike-lift.com/ bike lift so taking the weight will be easy.

Bring on my Maxton
Old 29-Jun-2006, 11:43
Mille

Hi Mike,
If it's any help I've got a pair of modified axle stands that I use to slip over the foot pegs - (they've got tubes fitted lined with plastic bushes so as not to damage the pegs) - give me a ring?
Regards,
Pete
Old 29-Jun-2006, 12:05
Mille

Mood: Beige.....
Only problem with lifting the bike totally off the floor is you then get the weight of the rear wheel pulling the shock linkage rather than pushing which can make undoing the bolts more difficult, and more so when re-fitting. If I were working on my own, in the future I'd most probably remove the rear wheel, you'll see