Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Jun-2004, 22:16
DSC Club Member
500SD

Spyball alarm goes bananas when wet!

Would put this in the correct section except it gets as much traffic as the Sahara in there.

Everytime I wash my bike and get alot if water on the tank the alarm goes bananas, starting this ticking sound from the box when disarmed and silent when armed for a peroid of 30 secs then goes off. So the only way off silencing it is to have the ignition on or to disconnect the battery. It only seems to sort itself out when left overnight or if I go for a long ride. So it must be water causing a contact somewhere... but where

Anyone else had the same problem with a Spyball Patriot?
Old 01-Jun-2004, 23:53
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
never had that problem on mine even when i use a hose to rinse it off! where is the alarm unit mounted??? mines just under the tank just above the right hand belt cover just inside the frame even when the battery gets wet it's not been a problem
Old 02-Jun-2004, 13:30
Mille
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Enjoying a REAL summer!
Don\'t wash it!

That's the conclusion I'm coming to!

If I rinse mine off thoroughly with a sponge and water the neutral and oil pressure lights come on (even with the ignition switched off!) and it refuses to start (when I turn the ignition back on, before anyone asks!).

Just use an airline to blow away the dirt and polish with a lint free cloth!!!
Old 02-Jun-2004, 14:21
DSC Club Member
500SD

Mine box is tucked under the tank between the subframe spars, so should be fairly well protected. If only it was washing it that causes the problem but what about those rare times when I ride out in the rain
Old 02-Jun-2004, 17:04
BSB Star

Had a spyball alarm, did the same, replaced it
Old 03-Jun-2004, 19:14
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
Quote:
Originally posted by Karl
Would put this in the correct section except it gets as much traffic as the Sahara in there.

Everytime I wash my bike and get alot if water on the tank the alarm goes bananas, starting this ticking sound from the box when disarmed and silent when armed for a peroid of 30 secs then goes off. So the only way off silencing it is to have the ignition on or to disconnect the battery. It only seems to sort itself out when left overnight or if I go for a long ride. So it must be water causing a contact somewhere... but where

Anyone else had the same problem with a Spyball Patriot?

Hello mate

I have the same probs with mine. Its the same alarm and its fitted pretty much in the same way that you have described. I lightly rinse mine off when washing and if it does play up its only for a few moments while the water drys out.

It is anoying but i seem to have got used to it. I might get a data tool 3 alarm later as i have had them before. But for now i will live with it. Or perhaps, if i could be bothered. I could relocate the alarm!
Old 18-Jun-2004, 20:38

Had the same problem with mine,in the end got Ducati to look at it.The problem was water running down the cable into the box and short circuiting.Try and seal the area where the cable enters the box with some silicon sealant,done this on mine and have had no problems since.
Old 21-Jun-2004, 13:51
Mille

I have a Data Tool alarm on mine and have a similar problem. If I can get it into maintenance mod and leave it for a while it is OK, but may have to look for the source of the problem as it can be annoying.
Old 21-Jun-2004, 13:58
DSC Club Member
500SD

Thanks to all for helpfull advise, seems I`m not the only one who is having problems with my Spyball. Looks like I might try to turn it upside down so the cable runs up to the box, instead of down which it is at the moment.