Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Aug-2006, 23:27
Montjuic

mono sub assembly

Wave, looks like where its broken is caused by the weight of the exhaust as your weight is applied to the sub frame at the other side of that weld. The exhaust is bolted onto the subframe with one very big bolt at the back and two smaller bolts closer to your bum.
It was a common fault on 03/04 bikes that the alloy around the big bolt would snap at the weld to the subframe.My mate nearly crashed his 03 749S when the exhaust fell onto his rear tyre at high speed. Ducati did a superb repair under warranty.
How olds the bike can you get it sorted under warranty?
If your getting it welded I would get some extra strengthening added as some alloys become soft as cheese when theyve been welded up.
Old 13-Aug-2006, 23:44
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
As Pete points out the seat load is supported in front of the crack so its weight from behind, adding a set of panniers at 10 - 20 kg would load it quite a lot. From the ones i've seen its not just load related, its a flexed stress area and it looks like crack comes from the end of the weld, thats a fairly common one on mountain bike frames so we try and avoid welds ending like that. alloy tubing is thin, 1.2mm - 2mm being the norm.
Old 16-Aug-2006, 18:03
Mille

Okay basically i wrote a big letter to ducati saying even though my bike is out of warrenty its unacceptable for the subframe to snap on a 2 year old bike etc etc

They got intouch with ProTwins in godstone who currently have the subframe, they told me today the subframe cannot be fixed and ducati are going to pay for a new one.

Good news
Old 09-Jul-2012, 22:57
Bikes: Ducati 999s, Kawasaki ZX7r, Kawasaki KX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave
Okay basically i wrote a big letter to ducati saying even though my bike is out of warrenty its unacceptable for the subframe to snap on a 2 year old bike etc etc

They got intouch with ProTwins in godstone who currently have the subframe, they told me today the subframe cannot be fixed and ducati are going to pay for a new one.

Good news

Old thread...old problem....I got it.

2005 sub frame snapped both sides - never had panniers or extra load. Snapped behind where I sit. Noticed at track day today as exhaust moving around.Other 999s 749r owners put me in rigth direction.....let's see what Ducati say when I get in touch. 7 yr old bike !!
Old 10-Jul-2012, 18:40

I snapped 2 in the last 3 years.
Ducati wont do anything anymore.

I had 4 new ones in stock, But sold them to a ducati breaker, If you want his number PM me.

Its the exhuast that splits them. I machined some larger rubber mounts for the sub frame, Problem sorted
Old 08-Mar-2013, 14:44

I had exactly the same issue, managed to get ducati to change it out of good will........
Old 03-Apr-2013, 14:34
Bikes: Ducati 999s, Kawasaki ZX7r, Kawasaki KX250

Sub frames

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneychubble
I had exactly the same issue, managed to get ducati to change it out of good will........

Was that recently?

I didnt get any joy....bought one from the USA. Better design of bracing. Also set up the exhaust so it isnt 'hanging' off the frame. So far no more breaks. But i do have the bits of the old one...wouldnt mind getting it replaced as back up.

Who / where did you write to?

ta