Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Nov-2004, 20:08

Only running on 1 cylinder

Hello eveeryone I am new here and new to Ducati's. I bought my first Ducati on saturday a 748BP 1996 with only 8200 miles. Now I know the weather was really wet and I've been warned about Italian electrics and wet weather but I had to get the bike home from Ilfracombe, so I had no choise but to ride it. Anyway 25 miles doen the road everthing was going great just had a nice bit of road in front of me so wound it on a bit in top gear just to see how it would pick up and as I hit about 100mph bam sudden loss of power down onto one cylinder. I pulled over and the bike cut out it would start again but only run on the rear cylinder. So AA'd the bike home put it in the garage with a heater to let it dry out. Tried to start it on sunday but still the same. Got home tonight and replaced the spark plugs (nice big spark on each) but still can't get the front cylinder to fire. I did notice that there was fuel in the airbox and also dripping from the front down pipe. I am now at a loss as to do next so could someone please help. Thanks
Old 22-Nov-2004, 20:13
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Well, I can't help you with the bike unfortunately but plenty here can and will.

In the meantime, it's your shout at the virtual bar YAY

I'll have a water because I'm off to the gym, but when I get back I expect a Crown lager to be waiting for me.

Welcome to the club
Old 22-Nov-2004, 20:41
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
HI there and welcome to the DSC

i'm sure nelly will be along in the minute to help out !

but i had one last week on a breakdown that did a similar thing ! and it was the rod from the rear butterfly that connects to the front butterfly had come off !

remove right hand pannel open throttle and see if the connector rod opens both butterfly's

might not be your problem but worth a look !

and mines a REDBULL and vodka cheers ..........mav
Old 22-Nov-2004, 21:00
Ducati Corse

No idea what your problem is with the bike but i'm not sure its a good idea to test for sparks by taking the plugs out. I dont think the ECU likes it very much!

Worst case is that the cam belt to the front cylinder has broken..
Old 22-Nov-2004, 21:56
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
Shame...As mad mav said...ask Nelly!...
I'm sure that someone will give you a spot of help! Where's Luigi (?)when you need him??? He's in your neck of the woods I think!
Oh! by the way Welcome to the club, stick around you'll get stacks of help and advice...Mines a Drambuie if you're buying!
Old 22-Nov-2004, 22:17
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
If you need help in your neck of the woods as well as Louigimoto I can recommend Rob Jones a mobile bike mechanic from Radstock and also a fellow Ducati rider. http://rjracing.co.uk/

If you end up calling him tell him Kev Ellis said to try him.
Old 22-Nov-2004, 22:21
MotoGP God

Just for the hell of it here is a pic of Rob lined up at Castle Combe alongside Mike Smith from Yate (Defo your neck of the woods) and yes a Cresent Suzuki
Old 22-Nov-2004, 22:45

Nice one cheers for the advice, got husband on the case as well so we'll make some calls and let you know how we get on. Just want to ride it properly and see what the Ducati thing is all about!!!
Old 23-Nov-2004, 01:32
MotoGP God

Harley Trackdays around Cadwell, sounds like fun when is theirs, could pop along and watch. Mind you none of the Harley riders I know from around here would be there including Senna3's brother in law. :P
Old 23-Nov-2004, 01:41
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Fuel in the airbox and running down the front pipe doesn't sound too good.
As already mentioned, the belt could've snapped/jumped?? Take the front belt cover off and have a look see.
Also take the front plug out and see if you've got any compression? If you haven't got a gauge handy, just try and feel if there is a good shot of air being blown out of the plug hole.