Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 12-Sep-2005, 20:29
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Yellow Flags

I've heard there was lots of overtakes under the yellow flag at Druids...

Sorry if I'm sounding condesending, but DON'T DO IT!
As well as a DD race god, I'm a track marshal trained to national level, and it's unbelievably dangerous to be overtaking a rider who might be lacking concentration by rubber-necking an incident. And how would you feel if your overtake went wrong and took out a marshal who's there trying to help one of your friends?

When sporting my orange overalls I have no hesitation in reporting these incidents to the clerk of the course. Whether the pass was safe or not, that's only known in hindsight.

End of lesson.

n

[Edited on 12-9-2005 by NBs996]

[Edited on 13-9-2005 by NBs996]
Old 12-Sep-2005, 20:55
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

I wasn't close enough to anyone to pass
Old 12-Sep-2005, 21:18
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
I was passed under a yellow flag as well (where is druid? is that the small right bend at the top of the hill??). And even if I think he would have passed me later or sooner, I really think it wasn't fair...
Old 12-Sep-2005, 21:27
Mille

Happened to me also at Druids in 1st race. This is crap track day behaviour and is not acceptable.
Old 12-Sep-2005, 21:46
Ducati Meccanica

I'm afraid to say there was a lot of it going on yes - It was my fault the flags were out but I did see an awful lot of passing on Druids as the flags remained for the rest of the race.
Old 12-Sep-2005, 23:01
Big Twin

Mood: DD 2006: 4th Top Rookie. DD 2007: 2nd Class B. DD 2008: 2nd Class B.
maybe we should go through the flags again im new to racing so this would be great for me (iv seen them all before when been at track day but it wouldnt hurt)
Old 12-Sep-2005, 23:06
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Hand up !
I passed 1 person once in race 1 when Lin was spectating at druids,but I then let them back in front before the corner had even finished.
(I was passing about 1 person every lap there).
There were a _lot_ of you running the 'perfect' line there instead of the 'inside' line - which is a _huge_ invitation to brake late up the inside (well it _is_ uphill so your brakes will always work magnificently !)
Apologies to whoever, but Druids is one of my most-favoritest-corners-ever.

And Tonio - PLEASE - Druids is the 'magnificent' right-hand uphill hairpin after the awesome Paddock-Hill downhill left-hand bend.
Old 13-Sep-2005, 00:53
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Quote:
Originally posted by Dominic Clegg
maybe we should go through the flags again im new to racing so this would be great for me (iv seen them all before when been at track day but it wouldnt hurt)

Dominic, flags are pretty simple from a riders perspective:

Yellow:
Waved - There's an obstacle on the track, possibly on the racing line. Or it could be a marshal/rider in front of the protective barrier. Slow sufficiently to give yourself time to take avoiding action, no overtaking. The ferocity of waving is proportional to the level of danger.
Static -
1) There's something (probably a bike) off the track but in front of the protective barrier that's not normally there.
2) You're entering the sector before a waved yellow.
The track is clear, but you should slow sufficiently to ensure you'll make it round the corner, no overtaking.

Red:
Session stopped. Slow right down and return to pit lane, be prepared to take avoiding action. There'll be a waved yellow on the mashal post at the start of the sector where the incident is. No overtaking in any sector.

White:
There's a vehicle on track with more than 2 wheels. Most clubs below national level don't allow safety vehicles on track in front of riders, so you're unlikely to see one.

Black:
Displayed on on the start line with a separate board showing rider number. If that's your number then you're out - report to pit lane, you'll not be allowed to restart.

Black with orange circle:
Shown at the start line with separate board showing rider number. If this is your number then exit the track asap, there's something wrong with your bike likely to cause a danger to you or others.

Green:
All clear, on with the show, open season on the bike in front!

Blue:
A rider is approaching who is significantly faster (probably the leaders about to embarass you!). Just be aware that you're about to get mugged, no need to change what you're doing, it's up to them to get past not for you to move out the way. Just don't do anything unpredictable.

Yellow with black cross:
Shown at the start line to indicate you're starting the last lap (race conditions only) so keep it nailed!

Lots of little black and white squares:
Well done chap, you've finished the race! Slow down to let the back markers finish their race, then go collect your trophy.

Hope this helps?
Old 13-Sep-2005, 00:56
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Well said Nick

And thanks Lin, I was in a very close battle with Pete Yates in race 1 and I took full advantage of using the yellow flags to keep him behind me and allowing me to slow it down a bit more than normal and knock it down a extra gear to make sure my ickle 583 could accelerate hard out of Druids and keep his 620 behind me.
Well done Pete for observing the Yellow flags, I didn't get to see your front wheel once in that corner so I take it you were tucked in behind me.
Old 13-Sep-2005, 00:59
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
Sorry Phil, but I did not have time to work on my MCN circuit guide

[Edité le 12-9-2005 par Tonio600]