Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Jul-2004, 12:39
Mille

Mood: good
Bike \"fallen\" over

My (x)girlfriend has spitefully pushed my bike over, causing the usual damage to the right hand side - scratched mirror (not broken), gouged fairing, and has also scratched the seat panel too.

All cosmetic, but the main thing I'm worried about is the fact that it appears to be leaking petrol down the left hand side - it has dripped down the frame and onto the gear shifter and side stand (maybe on the right too but thats the way it leans over so I'm not sure). Also I think the tank is moving more than normal (side to side wobble)

I can't lift up the seat for some reason either - it seems as tho the catch isn't releasing on the right hand side? So i can't check if the tank is fixed on properly at the bolt infront of the rider seat.

Does anyone know what it might be?

Also,I think the steering lock may be bent or broke cos the bars turn round further now both directions.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated - the bike is in a friends parent's garage so I don't want to stink it out with petrol!
Old 26-Jul-2004, 12:53
Mille

Oh and also the open clutch cover got bent too, just to add more to the list!
Old 26-Jul-2004, 13:01
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike
Spiteful is the right word, real shame.
There is a black rubber overflow / breather pipe that runs down from the tank on the left side of the bike. Depending on where this exits, the petrol may have come from there.

Steering lock, the handle bars have stop locks on them, could it be those that have snapped?

As for the tank, it is possible to put you hand up under the rear seat just behind the seat lock and pull the wire that runs from the lock up to the catch. A coat hanger can be an alternative if you have big hands. A good yank on that should free the seat catch.
Old 26-Jul-2004, 13:10
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Report it to the police and get some fingerprints taken, then sue the b!tch for the money to get it fixed.
Old 26-Jul-2004, 13:23
Mille

Is it possible for the wire to have got slack or stuck? The key turns and pulls on the wire, but the right hand side of the seat is stuck and won't lift off/release.

My mate saw it happen as he was helping me remove my stuff, so i do have a witness - I didn't think too much on reporting it tho yet
Old 26-Jul-2004, 13:33
Big Twin

I know a couple of girls that could 'have a word' if you like, won't be tracable back to you either!

I'm just glad my bunnyboiling ex never tried that ****!
Old 26-Jul-2004, 13:42
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Sorry to hear about the incident!! Women - you can't live with them, you can't live with them!!!

The seat latch is a central one, and should be released by the cable, as others have said, reach underneath and pull this down to get full movement on the cable, if this doesn;t free it then it probably means that the seat is stuck on something else. Particularly if its one side, as the catch is a central one.

Maybe the tool kit has moved or something similar - causing the seat to jam?

As for the fuel, hopefully this is just overflow - is the tank pretty full? If so it may just be where the fuel has gone through the overflow pipes at the top of the tank (When the bike was on its side) and is just running out of the overlflow pipe?

This pipe should exit from underneath the belly pan area, (if its got one) or from a hole underneath the side panels (where they join at the bottom).

If its not then this may have been tucked up by the sidestand area, or have come loose from around the fuel pump area (underside of tank). Eitherway it should stop after a while, if it doesn;t stop then it may be a fuel union type connector into the fuel pump.

Let us know
Tim
Old 26-Jul-2004, 13:45
WSB Hero

Just re-read your post, you mention that the tank is moving from side to side! This shouldn't really happen, it is fixed on rubbers and mounted on the top of the airbox with a rubber seal, so there should be a certain amount of flex in the rubbers, but not very much!!

How hard did it land, did the tank take any of the impact (is there any damage to the tank?

Tim
Old 26-Jul-2004, 13:46
WSB Hero

Weeksy - so that's why you sold the Duke!!!!!
Old 26-Jul-2004, 14:08
Mille

There was a scratch on the tank - it brushed off tho so its not visibly damaged. I think the bars may have pushed round to the left (the steering damper has touched the left fork top). There is more movement than normal side to side with the tank tho, I'm pretty sure it didn't move that much before. It almost lifts off a bit on each side.

It must have landed pretty hard, was on its stand and she pushed it over. They're not terribly light these bikes are they! It landed hard enough to bend the clutch cover in after bashing it against the fairing.

The petrol is only a bit but smells really strong near the rear left part of the tank - near the rider seat. And it has ran down the frame from there to the sidestand.

Its a 748 by the way...