Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Jul-2003, 21:13
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Well.....

......As Phil says, the differences come down to what type of bike you're looking for.

996R
- its a limited edition collectors piece
- the engines were hand-built as they were the new Testastretta type and no processes existed to manufacture them, so in theory blueprinted(ish)!!
- they have carbon fairings and extras
- they have 50mm termis as standard
- it was the bike that won the WSB crown (no 998 did - not even the 998R)

As for the 998S
- it can be Biposto (a good or bad thing)
- the fairings are plastic
- you'll need to shell out £1K+ for termis +cpu
- they come in yellow or red (again a good or a bad thing)
- you may spend a fortune on carbon on it?

Also, as I've been looking for a 996R recently, I reckon you'll be lucky to get a 996R for under £11,500 from what I've seen.
Whereas a 998s, can be had for £10,500 or so.

Just my opinion, but I'd go for the 996R everytime. In fact, I chose the 996SPS over the 998S for most of these reasons.

Tim
Old 15-Jul-2003, 21:18
Big Twin

Mood: happy
Rattler, are you still hankering after a 996R? thought you might have had one on board by now.
Old 15-Jul-2003, 21:28
Big Twin

well i have one of each in my sights, each with about 1k on the clock, price diferance is + £1750 for the 996R,

is this about right. might be a bit of a struggle to manage the R financially unless i sell both my bikes.

gonna think it over while whizzing round brands tomorrow.
Old 15-Jul-2003, 21:31
Big Twin

oh and the 998s has termis also
Old 15-Jul-2003, 21:46
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Well......

Adam - I'd still love a 996R, but I'm probably now going to use the money to get a dedicated track bike. Not 100% sure though - I just couldn't find the right 996R at the right price.

Bungi - have you checked out the insurance too? It'll probably cost you more for the 996R.

I'd also check out the maint. schedule, its probably more frequent for the 996R.

If you are to get a 998S, I'd try to get a monoposto one as these are more desirable and are limited in their availability. Its also cheaper to convert a Mono into a Bip than the other way round (should you wish to)!!!

Has the 998S got a power commander for the Termis or a new CPU? - Are you getting the standard exhausts (and CPU) thrown in too? Make sure its been chipped / changed though....

Tim
Go for the 996R - you know it makes sense!!!
Old 15-Jul-2003, 21:58
Big Twin

the 998s is a bip but i have the single seat from my 996s reatained and already have a n ohlins rear with the correct spriing rating, so that bits easy enough.

yes it has correct cpu for the pipes, im not fully coversant with details but understand that both exhust systems come with the bike
Old 15-Jul-2003, 22:54
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
998s

Greetings chaps
I have been reading the comments about the 996r vs 998s and would agree with them. However if you use the bike for mostly road work i think you will find the Showas to be more than adequate, I`m reliably informed that only hard track work will show the superior action of the Ohlins over the Showa`s.

As for performance, my 998s mono with 50mm termi`s and ecu goes like the brown stuff of a greased shovel and like most people i have pampered her with some nice carbon bits as well. I spose it all comes down to you pays your maney etc etc etc .

The 998s is still a fantastic machine!