Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Nov-2003, 00:13
Mille

Chain - which make? D.I.D.?

Hi people,
Advice please, what's the best make of chain? I'm fitting a new STM carrier & ally. sprocket, and want a decent quality chain to go with them. Was going to fit a D.I.D. but have heard and read various tales about them breaking(!?). So what's the score?
Cheers, Pete
Old 15-Nov-2003, 03:21

I've been running a DID 520erv2 gold chain for quite some time now and have experienced no problems at all. If you look at the specs for this chain you'll find that it has comparable tensile strength to the stock chain on your bike. There are many good chains from a variety of manufacturers that will suit your needs well. Just don't get the cheap bottom of the line unit. Sprocket material choice is very important. Alloy weighs less but wears faster compared to a heavier steel sprocket that will last longer. Any chain will fail if not properly tensioned, cleaned and lubed. Just keep up on the periodic maintenance and you should have no problems.
Old 15-Nov-2003, 09:20
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
I have tried allsorts and now use only DID X ring. With 195bhp at the sprocket, I launch it as hard as possible on two super sticky, 10 inch wide slick tyres. The chain lasts all through a seasons hillclimbing and although I am abusing it around a 12 tooth front, it has never let me down.

Make sure you don't create a tight spot when you join the chain and it'll be fine.

BTW, if there are any members in my area that are struggling, I have a pro pair of tools for chain cutting and riviting.
Rgds,

Rob
Old 15-Nov-2003, 09:46
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
I have always used D.I.D. for racing & it has never let me down, I have a tight spot on my 748 chain at the moment & will be replacing it over the winter, I have been advised by Nelly to try the Subaki Sigma chain. As B&C Express is only 5 miles up the road I will be getting it direct from them.

You can get all your Arrow, D.I.D, Subaki etc direct from them, you do not have to go through a dealer, I do not know if they are on the DSC discount list though.

Chris.
Old 15-Nov-2003, 12:24
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
As Chris suggests the Tsubaki Sigma chain is excellent.
I used DID for years, and have no problem with using it again, it's just that Tsubaki is, IMO, so much better. You could tow an oil tanker with the 520, god knows what the 525 would be like.
It's no more money either.
If you prefer the DID, then you could buy Afam chain. This is DID in a different box and costs less.
Old 17-Nov-2003, 22:08
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
If your interested, ive got a 520erv2 x ring in gold. Done a 1000 miles. took it off of my bike to sell.
Old 17-Nov-2003, 22:13
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
How much you looking for it????

Chris.