Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 13-Jan-2009, 13:26
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
1911 UK Census

Whilst logging onto the interweb this morning, I noticed that this is now available. Apparently it is the 1st one for which they have proper records, whatever that means.

Anyway I set out to try and find my grandfather and great-grandfather, who should have been living in the Hackney/Gants Hill area of east London at the time.

Naughty people seem to have failed to register!

I have managed to find my grand-mother who was 3 at the time, helped by her having an unusual christian name.

They are not letting you download the copies of the entries to get the details of everyone in the household yet, so it will probably pay to wait a few weeks for that before going any further.

Must admit I am having more luck with my mother's family from the Manchester area.
Old 13-Jan-2009, 15:45
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Whats the website Chris 4D
Old 13-Jan-2009, 17:16
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordie
Whats the website Chris 4D

Try www.1911census.co.uk
Old 13-Jan-2009, 18:36
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

i know the year, exact name, place of birth and a few other details about my late grandfather but so far no joy.
Old 14-Jan-2009, 10:06
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Well with a bit more work last night I have been able to locate all of my grand parents whilst they were children in the 1911 census. By finding them I have been able to locate all of my great grand parents, who were the adults within the house holds.

It is getting more interesting from the point of view that as a small child I knew two of my great grand parents who were born in the 1880's.

Even more spooky is the fact that where my son has been at University he was living a couple of miles from where his grand father grew up as a child!

We now need to get into birth certificates for the great grand parents (now we know their year of birth) to start going back to the 1891 census to look into their parents.

This no doubt could become addictive!
Old 14-Jan-2009, 12:35
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
My uncle spent some time tracing back the family tree using the records office and so far it goes back to the 1800s. As I was quite interested in it too, I took all of the information and put it into a free "family tree" website that would allow me to keep track of everything. This has been a great help to keep everything tidy and we've even had a couple of matches against other people's trees that they have put in!

The website is/was Kindo.com but they've now teamed up with MyHeritage.com but it still provides the same useful online sharing, searching and layout tools all for free.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 14-Jan-2009, 16:39
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Anything in there about being able to use adjustable forks???
Old 15-Jan-2009, 13:34
888 at Last !!!

Mood: On the up
Good find though.

It can be interesting doing your own version of that show 'Do you know who you are' or whatever it was called.
Old 15-Jan-2009, 13:58
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
My brother did some digging into the family history and found that my great-great-great granparents going back to around the 1790's (however many greats that is) were watermen on the River Soar and Grand Union Canal based in Leicester.

Apparently, people in those days used to think of people who worked the canal as the lowest of the low.....no change there then

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 15-Jan-2009, 15:36
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
We did a family tree exercise when I was at school. Speaking to my Mum about it it turned out that one of my cousins had emigrated to Australia and had 2 kids, but we didn't know the names, so rather than try to find out we put them down as Bruce and Sheila... Glad we didn't resort to stereo-typing people...

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit