Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Jun-2004, 18:08
Mille

Mood: In danger of scaring myself
Stalling 999S

Hearing a lot of horror stories about the stalling problem at lights roundabouts and intersections (basically where it's the worst place for it to happen. I have had a number of occasions where its konked out rolling into a roundabout, coasting up to the lights and just before pulling away. Its in for its first service now having some much needed tweaks done to it but I am somewhat disappointed by its behaviour at times. There seems to be a general concensus that its to do with the mixture once you change to the Termis and new ECU and that fitting a PCIII will cure most of the engine's wooly delivery. Cant say for sure what its like in the upper rev range as I am still running it in. I think I best wait until thats over with and try to assess it then. Also having the entire dreadful throttle assembly removed and replaced with a 998 one. Much more simple, no lag, no slack and only the one cable to snap !! The 999 system is so overly complicated with an opening and closing run and is very vague at the point where it just starts to operate the throttle body valves (which makes it seem as if the cables are poorly adjusted but I am told it is just the crap design). Lots of owners at my own dealer have had this mod done though it is not cheap but makes riding the bike a much nicer experience. They have also modded a couple of track 999 bikes and the difference in the feel of the throttle, between the stock system I am ditching and the 998 one is very noticeable. Niggles and gripes are part of owning a bike its just there are more than a fair share of them than I remember having on my 748 and 998. Still they were both bought several years down the evolutionary chain since the birth of the 916 so maybe in three years time the bike might have had all these gremlins and flaws well and truly ironed out. Still like my new one though!!
Old 21-Jun-2004, 18:32
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Thats progress for ya!
I tried to take up the slack in my throttle cable.I found that the cable adjustment was spot on.All the slack is in the twistgrip tube where it turns in the houseing.Doh!
I like the sound of the 998 conversion.
Old 22-Jun-2004, 10:51
Mille

I found the engine on my 999 was very tight from new and frequently stalled. Some firm running in put a stop to that and the engine is now nice an loose. Never found I had a stalling prob after the engine freed up even with termi's and no PC.
Old 22-Jun-2004, 13:25
500SD

Mood: Happy as Larry!!!
I've heard about a stalling problem on 749'S,but not on the 999. Ducati are aware of the 749 problem & are trying to get to the bottom of it!

Just another thing to add to my list of reasons not to buy a 999!
Old 23-Jun-2004, 17:24

Does the 998 throttle have a quicker action than the standard 999 throttle assembly? Ideally I'd like to find something requiring about 20% less rotation at the bar.

Presume the 998 assembly requires changing both the handlebar housing and throttle body mechanism?

Reaper.
Old 24-Jun-2004, 11:35
Mille

As far as I am aware the handle bar housing and the linkages need to be modified sat the throttle body end but apart from that there is little else that needs to be done. The other change is the fast idle lever on the left hand side will obviously be redundant as you revert to the detent switch on the underside of the throttle assembly as per all previous 916/996/998 models. Less fuss and just as good. The fast idle switch will be left in situ else you are left with a gaping hole in the moulding where it once sat. Perhaps I could find something else to attach it to. A number plate flip up mechanism perhaps (you did not hear that from me OK !!!)
Old 24-Jun-2004, 11:40
Mille

Reaper, from what I haver seen and felt, the throttle does have a lot less travel and is much more responsive, the very reason I wanted to junk the 999 system. It does appear to have a lot less rotation to the stop too. Perhaps mine was a one off, but there have been enough people at my dealer who have requested the same mod so it cant just be me!! I can only vouch for a race prepped 999 which I saw and tried the throttle on, but if that is anything to go by I cant wait to pick mine up on Monday which is when it should be ready. Its also my birthday so it will be a present to myself that day !!
Old 24-Jun-2004, 21:45
500SD

Mood: head down
rod
the mod i did consisted of the 996 throttle grip assy and the cable from the 999 and the choke mech from a 998
i had to bodge the cable for the throttle a bit as the 90 deg end pice didnt fit i wanted to try another cable but only had a 996 one at home.
i would be interested on what the difference is
i also tried fitting a radial pump from a 996 and the throttle assy getts in the way, so the 996 mod would be a bonus if i can do it properly( i dont like bodging my bike)
Old 25-Jun-2004, 17:39

Chaps,

My major gripe regarding the 999 throttle was one of too much movement required at the twist grip - so I've just ordered a quick action throttle from:

www.extremebykesportz.co.uk

It should be delivered later next week, after which I'll let you know whether it also improves 'feel' (assuming it fits OK).

Reaper.
Old 25-Jun-2004, 18:55
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Does it still use the twin cables or do you have to convert to a single cable set up?