Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.
Closed Thread

Old 04-May-2005, 11:15
Mille

daves weekend at cadwell

Arrived friday and went out in the afternoon free practice, imediately knew I was in trouble. I have never liked cadwell but its the woodland section that is my worst bit!! whilst annette set up the palace I went out and tried to go faster, to no avail. a few beers and a curry saturday night helped me to sleep (thanks for the lift ian) saturday morning and I went to watch the lights on the start line to get an idea of what to expect. saturday pm, nearly missed the free practice and wasted the time I was out there.
sunday morning went out in free practice and relaxed a bit but was very frustrated that on the straight every 620 including a brand new multistrada left me for dead. then qualifying practice, who stamped on his glasses and had to go out without them? yup me I was disapointed to qualify 23rd on the grid but hoped that I could get a good start and maybe follow a slighly faster rider to tow me around. like number 111 I initially lined up on the car grid, then lined up in the right place. When the lights went on I was ready and got a reasonable start but had to stop to avoid the tony/chris incident and eventually entered the hairpin nearly last, things did not get any better during the race, the front kept doing something scary(racers technical description) at the haipin at the end hall bends, and every 620 inc the multistrada was pulling away on the straight. finished in 20th place but would have been worse was it not for all the crashers.

race 2, went out and this time got a better start and made up a few places only to lose them because I was to slow and cautious then dickie tried an overtake at the u turn and for the first time I behaved as if I was racing and dived back under him to beat him into the bends below the mountain, next lap he again tried an overtake on the straight but I outbraked him at the u turn and this was repeated for a few laps With me getting better drive out of barn and dickie driving past me on the straight untill I made a mistake and dickie got past me at the u turn, I lost drive and dickie gapped me and then pulled away. that was the end of my race The next two laps I just rode round as fast as i could feeling disapointed in myself but at the same time deleriously happy because I HAD RACED!!! and finished 19th.

they offered us an invitation race and I went out and was put on 3rd position on the grid, got a blinding start(not jumped) and led the race for all of 3 seconds and then just pushed harder than the earlier races as it did not matter if I fell off, a very uneventful plod round and then pack up and go home.

three things that I think need correcting and would apreciate any advice that skids etc can give me.

one: how can I get the right frame of mind imediatley(IE more aggressive) and not during the second race when dickie passed me?

two: would the lower profile front tyre have caused the tipping/tucking motion that I experienced at the old hairpin and the u turn and the vagueness through hall bends and will a120/70 help to cure this

three: gearing, I have no idea what gearing I was running but it was wrong, any suggestions for castlecoombe

In closing can I say that It was one of the best weekends in my life, annette really enjoyed it and the atmosphere in the paddock was brilliant, If someone had told me that I would finish top 20 in both races and would have led a third race albeit for 3 seconds last week I would have been happy so why do I feel I failed and let myself and annette down.

cant wait for castle coombe

dave

[Edited on 4-5-2005 by DAVE HARRIS]
Old 04-May-2005, 11:17
Dibble

nice report Dave, but do us all a favour, buy some new pants ...... I've had a word with Annette ...... and thanks for the cuppa Monday ....
Old 04-May-2005, 11:37
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Dave if you still can't open the U2U I have now emailed you its contents
Old 04-May-2005, 11:46
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Nice write up Dave

Mate, I don't know why you feel like you've failed. You finished and scored points in each race, and led a race! You are a RACER! Say it with me - I am a RACER! Now put your angry face on and yell it! I AM A RACER!!!

Why is everyone looking at me funny?

Seriously though Dave, not only did you complete all your races in the points you would have to be up there for the Clubman award for the way you got people back out on the grid with your mechanical handywork! My hat is tipped to you sir.

And then there's the hospitality suite that you had running ... You were one of the big cogs in the wheel of the weekend.

I'll try and help with your questions as much as I can.

One: This is difficult because some people are naturally aggressive and competitive and some aren't. When I need to get myself up for it I tend to think about what it is I want to do and visualise it (sounds corny I know) and listen to a bit of fast, heavy, angry music. It might work for you, it might not. Some people I play rugby with do a little light sparring to get themselves in the mood.

Two: Errr ... I like beer

Three: Err ... I haven't even checked to see what gearing I was running! I don't know about these things but would like to learn.
Old 04-May-2005, 11:52
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Dave,

Standard gearing should be fine for Castle Coomb, so I wouldn't worry about it for now.

And to echo Tony's comments, you were indeed star of the meeting for getting both myself, Michael, Tony and others all back onto the grid in double-quick time. Not only that but you've set the standard for hospitality already, so we won't be expecting any less from now on!
Old 04-May-2005, 12:16
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I second, or third, all the stuff people are saying about the way you helped them out Dave.

I can't help you on any of the techy stuff although I would reckon a 70 profile would be better.

As far as being aggresive? That's not what you need at all. In all the competition I've done you need to be assertive, focused and ultra determined, but also ice cool and analytical.
Old 04-May-2005, 12:20
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
Nice write-up Dave.

You've let nobody down, you've just set the goalposts for the next round.

In your own words:
"I say that It was one of the best weekends in my life"
which is what this is all about! Glad you enjoyed yourself!

Cheers, Chi
Old 04-May-2005, 18:24
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Dave, you done good mate.

Tyres-junk the low profile and fit a proper 70 profile-that will cure the front tucking. It's a common feeling with R6 Yams and they always feel much better with a 70 profile.

John
Old 04-May-2005, 19:09
Mille

Thanks everbody I perhaps overstated my disapointment I WILL GET BETTER!!! dibble, the reason my pants were pants is that they dont get much wear so last for years

dave

Last edited by skidlids : 23-Apr-2012 at 23:04.
Closed Thread