Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 31-Jul-2004, 10:37
GTL

For the record...

Some of you may remember that a chap called Chillo was selling 998r parts on the message board a couple of months ago. I hope that those of you that bought stuff from him faired better than me.

Description:

"DP carbon air tubes, small crack in the lacquer on r/h one which can be repaired (£388 new! £190)pics to follow"

Reality:

the r/h tube had around seven largish cracks through the carbon fibre (three of them 'starred' fractures), some with tufts of grass from where it had evidently gone down the road. No mention of missing indicator mount, and there were no pics to follow to indicate the actual damage.

Contacted him to let him know I was unhappy with the state of the tube, and then suggested if I arranged repairs with a fellow DSC member (Neil748r) and he paid for it we'd call it quits. His response was to the effect that he'd stated in the ad that it could be easily repaired (don't know how 'easy' comes into it), and that the damage notwithstanding, they were still worth £190.

Since I'm stuck with them, I've asked Neil to repair the offending tube, but not happy
Old 31-Jul-2004, 11:05
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Don't want to be taking sides here cos I've not seen the offending tubes, but if you're unhappy that product's not as described, or in the condition you were led to believe, then why not just send 'em back for a refund under the rules of "distance selling"?

Under this rule of consumer law, you don't even have to state a reason for returning them, so there's no need to get into an argument about why you want your money back. You certainly ain't stuck with them!

hope that helps you decide...
Old 31-Jul-2004, 11:21
500SD

Mood: Pretty good considering....
I may well be wrong, but.....

.... I think those rules only apply to traders rather than private sellers.

But if you are unhappy and Chillo still believes them to be worth £190, surely he should refund your money, maybe less his postage costs, and flog them to someone else, particularly if he doesn't want to queer his pitch on selling stuff on the board in future.
Old 31-Jul-2004, 11:44
500SD

See below for a pic of the tube in question. All the areas circled in red are full thickness cracks!

How anybody would have the audacity to sell these tubes for £190 beggars belief - and this is a DSC member selling to other DSC members!!!

To describe as having a "small crack in the lacquer on r/h one which can be repaired" is simply false advertising. Obviously just out to make a quick buck and using the trusting spirit of the DSC to their advantage.

Take a look at the pic and make your own judgement . . . .

Neil.
Old 31-Jul-2004, 12:17
GTL

Mood: me in a mood? NEVER!
once neil has done his best will you be happy? you have to think of that. well you have named and shamed him now so hopefullly people will be more carefull when buying from him, a true gent would have gladly paid you back if you wasnt impressed by his description.
so CHILLO lets hear what you have to say.
Old 31-Jul-2004, 12:22
Montjuic

Mood: Updating The Formula!
Neil, I totally agree with what your'e saying, i wouldn't have been at all happy paying £190 for those, at least the person selling the ones i bought was honest of their condition, and i got them for £100 ish! and these were brand new but damaged.
I also contacted this guy about the airtubes asking for pics....now i know why they weren't forthcoming!
But sorry to say that not everybody on this board is as 'bothered' about what they sell and at what price to other DSC members, have been left in similar situations myself
I notice you read on this board the outrage over Ebay scammers......
Iain, hope you get this resolved, if not im sure Neil will work some magic on them and have them looking better(not hard) if thats any consolation.

Gav

P.S. Maybe this thread should be moved to DSC topics? Webteam?
Old 31-Jul-2004, 13:00
GTL

Thanks for replies.
Hopefully I'm not just easing the chip on my shoulder (or not too much anyway!); if I'd read a similar post about the seller before buying the tubes I wouldn't have touched them with proverbial bargepole.
I'm sure Neil will do an excellent job and I'll have a nice set of tubes at the end of it, just a bit hacked off that I'm still fannying around trying to sort things out 2 months after saying I wanted to buy the damn things.
Old 31-Jul-2004, 14:23
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
In my experience of Chillo, he's always been fair and straightforward.

This may be a one-off and is obviously unfortunate, but I wouldn't let this stop anyone buying anything from Chillo, or doubting the validity of any other DSC member.

But it may mean that individuals are careful to agree sale terms beforehand (send / receive pictures) or use it as an opportunity to meet up for the exchange.

Tim
Old 31-Jul-2004, 17:55
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Dukess1999, sorry to hear your not happy with the goods you purchased from Chillo, where as I on the other hand am very happy with all the bits I purchased from him unseen and received through the post.
Old 01-Aug-2004, 11:47
GTL

Not saying Chillo/Simon is a habitual rip-off merchant, just that either through inadvertence or 'casualness' he wasn't straight-up in my case. If he'd shown the slightest inclination to compromise, this thread wouldn't be happening.