Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 02-Jul-2014, 00:31
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
the Saturday race, and never heard of a red flag because people agent slowing down.

If people tare overtaking on yellows, penalise them post event not every one in race

Penalising after doesn't help if a marshall gets seriously injured or if a rider does if the bike is left in their path

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 02-Jul-2014, 00:55
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
good point, but never heard of that before.

altho time was short
Old 02-Jul-2014, 14:31
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
good point, but never heard of that before.

altho time was short

How so The Endurance could have started aa late as 2pm
As it was it started around 15 mins after our race was declared at around 13:45
When it was red flagged I had just stsrted my 6th lap. So around another 7 minutes would have got me to the chequered flag. Mike Burke would have finished a lot sooner. So even if we dis go full race distance there was still time to spare to start the Endurance.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 02-Jul-2014, 16:47
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Class 1C with its two entrants and only run for one year isn't much of a recomendation. And to suggest I was taking part in a parade at the weekend is very misleading. I probably had my bike out of shape more in one race at Donington than all of the three dry races at Pembrey. I've spent 7 seasons racing across 5 classes where I could use wets with a best result of 6th overall in the NGRRC SoT championship so don't go thinking I haven't been there. But for DD I don't think its the way to go

Out of all that is that all you could comment on, my post was not about no one else entered C, we still had a grid of 4 classes ( bit like A & B ) and you have watched the TV of wet races of Hottrax and seen that DD is a lower number parade compared to the rest of the entry's. As for recommendation, I think it is. We are both saying we have raced where we could use Wet or limited to Road tyre. And I'm saying choice for me is better. No Idea where my 1 year racing period on wet/dry becomes an invalid opinion? after my 3 yrs racing in DD A/B on controlled road tyres.
Don't want to upset you Kev as you are a top bloke in my books but that rattled me ( rattled used instead of f*cked me off ) that my opinion is invalid just because C only raced for 1 yr. I still whooped some MaxiTwins / Superbikes and Supercups and I'm saying I've done both and I like the choice and my personal opinion is choice of wets for DD is better.

Craig
Old 02-Jul-2014, 19:37
Mille
Bikes: 900ss 600ss xr400

Quote:
Either way, the key point missed here is it looks like the two Kev's and Trudi are off this season: so what happens then and who will pick up the reigns?

More fundamental than what rubber we use- there's a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes keeping everything going- what are we doing to stop the inevitable rapid demise of DD without the 3 key figures sorting stuff?
Old 02-Jul-2014, 22:41
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Agree Miles.

The wets debate will continue until wets are used, the. It wont be a debate any more. Surprised at the dig at Craig, and actually as someone who would not go out in damp to not only race in the wet (and used the, even when patches of damp not wet) but enjoy the wet, as a relative novice in real terms as most of us still are even now, it is extremely relevant.
Old 03-Jul-2014, 03:34
DSC Club Member
500SD
Bikes: Badger DD A #50, Multistrada 1200s, Aprilia Tuono 1100rr

Mood: More chilled than a polar bear's d**k
Everyone in DD knew the rules when they signed up and those rules are there to make it a budget starter series.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog.
Scott #50
Old 03-Jul-2014, 13:44
Mille
Bikes: DD class B, Street Triple, Tiger 1050

It's in everybody's interest to keep the series running and in good health otherwise the money we've all invested in our little 600s will be wasted as they are unlikely to be competative in any other series and not easily sold on.

All this talk about wets let's not forget we are currently running on a tyre that is no longer in production and with out a control tyre whether that be one that does everything or drys and wets, I think the series will be worse off.

If DD is a starter/budget series how about a tyre capable both in the dry and wet for class B the same for class A but with an option of a more focused dry tyre this way newbies to class B don't have the worry or expense of having a second set of wheels but those in class A can choose to have a spare set of wheels with some stickier rubber for the sunny dry races. This way speed differential would not be too great either.

Think not what DD can do for you but what you can do for DD
Old 03-Jul-2014, 15:47
Mille
Bikes: 900ss 600ss xr400

I do seem to have started something here. I basically have no bones with any point anyone has made.
Agreed we are nowhere if no one can do what kevs and trudi do next year, agreed we signed up to the rules in the beginning, agreed we are good having the control tyre/ our own grid and any sponsors that come with those.

My point was only that not many enjoy wet races on our tyres and wondered if of a control combo of a wet and a sports road tyre deal from one manufacturer may be a possibility as long as a clear majority of both A and B class riders preferred this route. It's not just about falling off or not it's also about how much you're enjoying it. I'm not big into rules generally but have no real beef with any of our's and have never whined about wets before. Rules should only evolve if all can agree it's for better.

The cost need not be so great- most have spare wheels already- a set of wheels can be well under £100 and a set of wets could cover most or all of season if you were lucky. No warmers will be needed still. The scenario often faced of choice between racing on worn out vs not scrubbed tyres in wet sucks. I also think that the practice days where we're mixed in with others on wets running a totally different pace does make it feel a whole lot worse than it probably is.

A point to consider maybe a big part of problem with tyres in wet is as much to do with "set-up" as actual tyres. The difference between forces involved in wet/dry on same tyre are greater than they would be if grip level was higher therefore difference in suspension requirements is greater. The chances of getting working setting from same bike are probably better with wets. Bikes are set primarily for dry and there is rarely time to change them enough to get the kind of feel that would make them feel nice in the wet.

At the end of day i'm just sharing some ongoing ideas not moaning or bitching!!

Last edited by milesaway : 03-Jul-2014 at 15:58.
Old 04-Jul-2014, 09:50
500SD
Bikes: Honda CB350 K4, Ducati 749s

I must admit I just cant make my mind up with this.

I really enjoy the wet races on these tyres and my best results and races have been all in the wet conditions. However, the argument that riders have an inability to change a set of wheels is quite insulting, there are many great engineers in the DD paddock so this doesn’t hold any weight. As for cost, that’s a poor argument too. The top bikes appear to spend quite a few pounds on getting them to standard, so a little more for a set of wets on wheels can't be used either.