Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Nov-2005, 10:38
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
888 Aluminium Tanks - interested?

I have dropped my 888 tank off at the fabricators for a quote to manufacture ally versions. His first impression, “These are not going to be cheap, we have to do the tooling from scratch.” We then started talking about options……

Guys, I need to know what you’d like here and we’re going to have a consensus. The original, as a 100% replica, would involve tooling for the original type cap and all the internal pump and pipe parts. Alternatives would be a Newton Equipment cap, (as used on many race-bikes, fits the 888SPS carbon tanks and many others e.g. Harris race tanks. See link here: http://www.newton-equipment.com/Aero...ange%20400.htm ) and a 916/996 style fuel pump assembly.

Personally, I quite like the idea of the removable pump assy. It had the gauge sender, pump, filter, pressure regulator and QD female connectors in one solid assembly. The fabricators already make 996 style tanks and already has plenty of the necessary parts.

To help you decide, I am expecting the quote to be in the range 600 to 750 pounds per tank if we do an initial batch of 20 tanks. This may get cheaper assuming use of the above options and any reuse of other tooling he can find. This price will be plus tax and shipping to your final destination. Depending on the deal, for non UK orders, I may be able to get the purchase tax removed if we set up and export order, but it would require multiple tanks shipping to one non UK address…………

Right, I can already hear you asking about the quality? To help reduce your fears on that score, these are the guys that have been selected to make the Foggy Petronas road bike tanks; they also do all the Crescent Suzuki (British Superbike and Moto GP team) work and a huge amount for custom choppers, Battistini’s etc…

I will need to feed your requirements to him in the next few weeks and then we can firm up on the final spec.

Regards,

Rob
Old 03-Nov-2005, 10:48
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Well, I'm sort of interested, but mainly because KeefyB (my trusted advisor on 851/888's) has told me that amost anything on a 888 can be replaced quite easily with original stuff or interchanged with more modern stuff (eg: even if the engine self destructs a Monster S4, ST4 or ST4S lump will do nicely).

As I understand it the tank is the only part that is a bugger to replace and knowing how expensive OE tanks are then 600-750 seems reasonable.

My only problem is that I don't have 600-750 sovs lying around for a spare tank just in case I lob it. For that sort of money I'd be looking at other stuff first and only worrying about the tank if I did lob it and damage the original
Old 03-Nov-2005, 11:00
Ducati Meccanica

Jools, You're right there, a standard, steel tank is about £900, if you can still get 'em.

Rgds, Rob
Old 03-Nov-2005, 12:44
Mille

Quote:
Originally posted by rob41b
Jools, You're right there, a standard, steel tank is about £900, if you can still get 'em.

Rgds, Rob

£900
For that money I can get you a carbon corsa tank assuming that £900 = 1325Euro
Old 03-Nov-2005, 12:52
Ducati Meccanica

I already have one, but a new carbon tank would still needs a few hundred pounds of (now) unobtainable fittings.........
Old 03-Nov-2005, 13:03
Mille

Quote:
I already have one, but a new carbon tank would still needs a few hundred pounds of (now) unobtainable fittings.........
Like?
Just a question, because we just order a new tank and the only thing we have to get was the carbon cap. So I'm curious.

Rob, which tank is it that you have?
From a 888 or 851 model?
Of which year is it?

[Edited on 3-11-2005 by NUx]
Old 03-Nov-2005, 13:18
Ducati Meccanica

I have a carbon 888 tank, the SPS style, and needed the correct factory style, QD fuel fittings that screw into the edges of the tank. If you have a source, I know at least one person that would be very grateful.

Rgds, Rob

[Edited on 3-11-2005 by rob41b]
Old 03-Nov-2005, 13:36
Mille

Quote:
I have a carbon 888 tank, the SPS style, and needed the correct factory style, QD fuel fittings that screw into the edges of the tank. If you have a source, I know at least one person that would be very grateful.

Rgds, Rob

[Edited on 3-11-2005 by rob41b]
You mean those nipples?
Perhaps. I'll contact the guy I know and let you know.
Back to the topic now
Old 03-Nov-2005, 13:50
Mille

Mood: Privileged ...
Hi NUx, Philippe "speaking" from France !!!

As you can read, fuel tank is a main problem ... I remind you our last chat ...
Old 03-Nov-2005, 14:14
Mille

Hey Phil,

I know about the tanks. But if we could stick our heads together, perhaps we can do some good jobs in helping each other
and finding the necessary parts.