Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Jul-2009, 22:29
Bevel Head
Bikes: 998s bostrom rep, yamaha r7, yamaha r1sp.

Mood: sustained at the mo
Starter motor intermitent

Can any one please help me, my starter motor doesnt always work, there is a fault somewhere along the line from the starter button to the starter motor, is this a common fault, i have cleaned all conections and still is bhit and miss.
HELP ME PLEASE, IAM SICK OF PUSHING, AND PEOPLE DONT BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY IT IS A CORSE MOTOR IN IT.
Old 24-Jul-2009, 23:41
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Hello hotchillie

Some good reading here

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/fo...play.php?f=182

TopiToo
Old 25-Jul-2009, 01:00
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Problem Restarting

A common problem with superbikes is that after running fine and then shut off, it won't start again, say after a refueling stop. You don't hear a click of the starter solenoid or the starter motor turning. Sometimes if you wait a few minutes it will restart normally.

The culprit is the two-wire plastic connector plug located behind the starter solenoid (the round gold component near the battery.) The connector often makes a poor connection from distortion or corrosion. Usually jiggling or unplugging and plugging the connector will get you going again. It may be that the heat inside the fairing causes thermal expansion of the components and exacerbates the problem.

So check the electrical connector that goes to the solenoid. They always seem to fit poorly. Better-still, zip-tie it together.
Old 27-Jul-2009, 14:26
Mille
Bikes: ducati 996, hawkati, kawacati

Mood: generally vile and mischevious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazaam!
A common problem with superbikes is that after running fine and then shut off, it won't start again, say after a refueling stop. You don't hear a click of the starter solenoid or the starter motor turning. Sometimes if you wait a few minutes it will restart normally.

The culprit is the two-wire plastic connector plug located behind the starter solenoid (the round gold component near the battery.) The connector often makes a poor connection from distortion or corrosion. Usually jiggling or unplugging and plugging the connector will get you going again. It may be that the heat inside the fairing causes thermal expansion of the components and exacerbates the problem.

So check the electrical connector that goes to the solenoid. They always seem to fit poorly. Better-still, zip-tie it together.

waht Shaz said. best check it soon, and secure it. Any further starter button probs - check the button itself, taking care not to overtighten screws during reassembly, so button doesn't stick on.

Still not working? needle pliers -don't leave home without them. Not really ideal at all, but better than pushing - it'll take 30 seconds to whip right fairing off, shift rubber solenoid cove roff and stick pliers over the solenoid (get heavy duty rubber handles to avoid melted fingers)

Sparks ahoy! Brutal but effective.