Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 31-May-2005, 17:35
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Team 3Up Racing sweeps the podium!

Undoubtedly, Sunday's race meet at Donington with Derby Phoenix Motorcycle Club was our best to date. In our championship class we swept the Newcomer's podium in the afternoon's trophy race:

1st - Nick Cooper, Suzuki 750 (fastest lap: 1:20:41)
2nd - Nick Boggan, Suzuki 750 (fastest lap: 1:21:39)
3rd - Felix Hirzel, Ducati 916R (fastest lap: 1:23:09)

Nick Cooper was especially pleased with his performance as he had to start from the back of the grid, having DNF'ed in the morning race, finishing in an overall 10 place out of 30.

The morning race was also a good points gathering result with a best lap for our team, again by Nick Cooper, of 1:19. The end result is that Nick Boggan is now second in the newcomer's championship with just over 200 points. The final points tally will be posted on the Derby Phoenix website in a few days time.

From a more personal point of view, I came away with mixed feelings. On the plus side, I kept it upright throughout the day in the Thunderbike and Allcomers races. This was my goal after my horrible outing at Cadwell a fortnight ago. It wasn't my first crash but having highsided in my own oil knocked my confidence far more than I imagined. Some of the confidence has come back as a result of my races at Donington. The bike was flawless all day, tyres were perfect, and I had no "moments" at all. That, however, just goes to show that wasn't pushing hard at all. I think my best lap time of the day was just under 1:23, which is roughly 4 seconds off my team mate, who I used to beat. There simply is no substitute for track time in a race situation, which I am desperately short of.

On the downside, my bike should simply **** all over any other bike on the grid. The only display of this was when I nailed it down the straight and simply motored past any other bike that was even 6-8 bike lengths in front of me coming out of Coppice or the final chicane. Sadly, everywhere else it was a very different story. I can only imagine what a front runner like Roger Needham, Andy Pulling, or Steve Sarson would do. But don't tell them!

In summary, while not happy with my individual lap times, I made decent progress towards the front, although no faster than last year. For the team it was a fantastic event and it is alarming how far you come in barely over a full seasons of racing. We will continue...
Old 31-May-2005, 18:27
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Well done Felix. You'll get "it" back i'm sure. Still plenty of time
Old 31-May-2005, 18:29
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Fantastic news. Just a bit of match fitness required I suspect.
Old 31-May-2005, 18:35
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Well done felix. Definitely a good start back and I'm sure you'll be on the pace you're chasing very quickly.

Good luck.
Old 31-May-2005, 21:25
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
Once again Felix "Well done" was great to hear that beast of yours thunder past me under the Dunlop bridg, Only prob being I couldn't get my lens to travel as fast

Here's a few of the shots I got of "The Team"

Next round.........Bring it on!!!!

[Edited on 31-5-2005 by Guido]
Old 31-May-2005, 23:34
Ducati Meccanica

Again, many, many thanks for your efforts, Guy. We are quickly approaching the point where we can put together a pretty effective portfolio for sponsorship purposes.

Of the photos you took of us, I like this one of Nick Cooper. You can tell he is really trying.

Old 01-Jun-2005, 00:15
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Nice Pics, Nice results, all 3 are looking good, under 1min 23s isn't a bad start at rebuilding your confidence Felix, I'm sure you will be back at full pace very soon.
Old 01-Jun-2005, 08:50
Big Twin

Mood: http://www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Well done m8..........................
Old 01-Jun-2005, 10:00
Ducati Meccanica

Yeah, certainly not unhappy, just really didn't need that crash at Cadwell. Sorry, to have missed you in the paddock. I did stop by your van but only found your missus sleeping in the back. Next time, eh?
Old 01-Jun-2005, 10:08
Cucciolo
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse

Mood: Waiting for the revolution!
Great result Felix.

Cracking pictures as always Guy.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit