Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Oct-2005, 14:37
Mille

ST3 Owners

Any ST3 owners out there who could give some opinions on there bikes ? I think the model has been out for a year now and I know its no great seller in the show rooms , but its good to be different ! I am interested in any comments on the new wet clutch arrangment. Still like my st2 but might have some spare cash for a upgrade soon ...

Cheers
Old 18-Oct-2005, 14:44
Ducati Corse

ST3

Did you see the comparison with the ST2 in MCN week before last? - check out their website. Also MCL have a comparison test this month. Paul James has one at the moment on which he's done 5,000 miles - drop him a U2U.
Old 18-Oct-2005, 15:14
Mille

No I don't buy the MCN. I'll check their web site.
Cheers
Old 18-Oct-2005, 20:03
Big Twin

Ariel has an ST3, you could drop him a U2U and ask how he likes it now he's lived with it a while.

The Multistrada took quite a lot of the previous ST market. The year the Multistrada was introduced, Italia in Lincoln told me they sold 21 STs the year before and only 1 that year.
Old 29-Oct-2005, 12:10
Bikes: ST3

I have an ST3 (2004) and it handles great particularly in and out of corners, brembos keep it under control and I can ride for 2 hours without having to visit the osteopath - the clutch does make a light rattling noise when idle but once you get revs up to 2k the V twin noise takes over. All in all no regrets after 6000 miles.
Old 11-May-2006, 19:16
Mille

Mood: need enlightenment
had a fantastic trip last september to the Alps on my ST3 ho problems just oozzzzes past the ole rice burners pretty comfy at 6`5 screen gives much better wind deflection than my old st4s did:P
Old 17-May-2006, 12:42
Mille

I've had my ST3 for 18 months or so now..(the old dry clutch version). I went to France and The Czech Republic 2 up last year and I really rate it. It's really comfortable (I'm 6' 3") as well as being more than quick enough for me.

I've had a couple of problems that were sorted under warranty...water ingressin the clocks and valve springs replaced to assist with a lumpy running problem.

I've recently fitted some Remus race cans a power commander and had it set up on a rolling road with an individual map created for the bike. This has really helped with the power delivery and cured what could be a lumpy delivery.

Overall I've been really pleased with the bike as unlike my 748 I can ride it all day (and have done) without any aches or pains and the wife loves it to for the factory fitted panniers that takes half her wardrobe when we go abroad.

I know it's not been a big seller but you can get some really good deals on them with £1500 off list price complete with the panniers.

If you need to know anything else send me a u2u
Old 31-May-2006, 14:02
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Had a lot of fun with mine, been on a couple of lengthy trips now, did a ride over to Assen to the DD round this year and went on a 2 week tour of Europe in 2005.

I've tinkered a bit with mine, open pipes, cut down airbox top with K&N filter but only because I like the thing to sound like it was meant to (and er indoors moaned it was too quiet standard and didn't sound like a Dook)

Only problems I've had is the horn mounting bracket broke (replaced with new version under warranty, no quibble) and an odd problem with the tickover. The latter only started after the last service and is rather unusual; I thought it was the cable damaged somewhere along its route causing tickover to vary, sometimes when coming to a halt it runs at 2,500 rpm which is a bit of a pain, other times just under 1,000 which is fine.

I've both an ST2 and ST3 ,the 2 has done a fair mileage with no problems (now up for sale if anybody wants a good un) but the ST3 is a better bike to ride. Fairngs although not perhaps to everyones liking offer far more high speed stability, we tried it out of interest on the Autobahn last year, 2 up with panniers, top box and tank bag it seemed rock steady at up to 140 mph. It does use a bit of fuel at high sustained speeds but seems remarkably economical ridden a bit more sedately.

No problems with the wet clutch which is obviously much quieter than it's predecessors dry version.

All in all a very competent touring bike which seems to be very highly praised in the magazine reviews, usually beinmg rated higher that the VFR, which I must confess I've never ridden.

http://www.multirole-eng.com

http://www.audicator.com Check out our simple to fit, potentially life saving turn signal alert system.