Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Apr-2006, 14:57

Broken valve spring on ST3

My ST3 is in for its two year service at the moment. I have just received a phone call saying one of the valve springs has a piece broken off!!! This is one of the exhaust springs that was replaced as part of a recall. The mechanic has assured me that they will find the broken piece, hopefully on the magnet in the sump. Otherwise it is a full strip down. Apparently the piece is of hardened steel and is big enough to have seized the gearbox.

At least all works will be done under guarantee. My guess will be that it will remain in the shop for a week or two.

But I am not impressed.

At least they gave me a loaner bike and I have the 998 at home.

Micko
Old 13-Apr-2006, 15:30
Mille

Not good news, but at least it's being sorted under the warranty. I've had my ST3 for about 18 months now. In that time I've had to have the clocks replaced as they let in water whilst I was touring in France!

I've also had the valve springs replaced and a new front brake disc as the other one was warped. Apart from that the bike is great and I'm off to Mugello on it in May for the Italian GP.
Hope you get yours back soon
Old 13-Apr-2006, 18:22
Mille

Mood: Relaxed
Broken Valve Spring

Micko - Sorry to hear about the broken valve spring. I remember that you had the valve spring modification done not longer after my bike had its mod.
Hope its easily sorted. Please keep us posted.
Old 18-Apr-2006, 12:08
Mille

I am interseted in how the owners of the st3 are getting along with their bikes, especially if you have the wet clutch model. I've had my st2 for almost 3 years now and may think off a change soon.
The only thing that annoys me on the bike is the dry cluch rattle and the judder at low revs even after the 15 tooth upgrade. Otherwise the bike is great !
Any comments ?
Old 18-Apr-2006, 18:11
Mille

ST3 Opinions

You were asking how people were getting along with their ST3s. I have had mine for 14 months. I've only done 2400 miles but the bike has been great. Mine is the original dry clutch model which I like. No rattles or "graunching" when I accelerate off. I am aware that Ducati clutches can be noisy.
The bike is very comfortable to ride and you can have the bars in either a low or high position. I find the lower forward position most comfortable.
The bike is very stable and for a tourer corners remarkably well.The screen protects and the mirrors enable you to see what's happening behind without the need to move elbows inwards.
Bike magazine slated the ST3 for poor suspension and fuelling glitches but perhaps the bike they tested needed sorting.
I have noticed that nobody seems to be selling these bikes and the few people I know who own one like them and intend to keep them.
Old 18-Apr-2006, 18:27
Mille

The press allways praised the handeling and braking of the original st2 when it first came onto the market. Although the competition allways seemed to have more power in their bikes. In my limited bike ownership I have had singles, twins and a triple, but never a 4 cylinder. I keep thinking of owning a multi one day so I can gauge for myself if I like it or not. Only thing is I can not see a bike on the market that I like. (i test rode a blackbird and thought it was fantastic, but was just to much for the way I ride)
I find the st2 a perfect comftable bike for my 6'4'' frome and much prefer the narrow profile of a V as apposed to the wide girth of the multi.
Just like to think Ducati can get their quality standards up as the newer models come out !
Old 18-Apr-2006, 18:41
Mille

pcn1 I ought to have mentioned that the three valve engine is a cracker and much faster revving than the two valve Multistrada motor.
From your comments I suggest you book a test ride at your local Dealer if they have a bike available.
You will find the bike will fit your frame OK.
Old 18-Apr-2006, 22:30

I stand by all of Ariel’s comments.

My ST3 has done 9,000 miles to date. It has proven to be most reliable, starts first thing every morning and even after two years is still a pleasure to ride. It as never let me down. The clutch is a lot lighter on the 2005 version now that they are using a wet type. The 3 valve head gives it great low down grunt. Following the replacement of the ECU the bike is a lot smoother, especially noticeable in town riding. I would highly recommend one.

Best advice I can give is to get a test ride.

Micko.
Old 10-May-2006, 00:25

I picked up my ST3 today. Full service, chain etc. The attached is a picture of the broken valve spring, and more importantly the bit that broke off. It was found in the rocker. They changed all the exhaust springs just in case. I had one of the engineers in work examine it and the clean break would indicate a manufacturing defect. Given that the original springs were replaced on a recall it is concerning.

Micko