Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 14-Dec-2004, 09:26
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
b.t.w if we do have a control tyre can it be pirelli. i like them
Old 14-Dec-2004, 09:56
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally posted by weeksy
Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati
twpd - cheers for your post, its about the best response i've read and makes total sense to me (not necesserily a good thing b.t.w)..

playing Devils advocate here.... Is it the best because it's the most concise, or because it misses the bits out it needs to and therefore falls within your budget ?

everyones advise is welcome but it just seems to be the most realistic.

you have to bear in mind this series is aimed at the trackdayer who wants to dip his toes in the racing world.

by definition if you have done a few trackdays you will quite likely have the majority of the stuff you are likely to need:

leathers and riding kit
maybe tyre warmers
trailer or van

and i think alot of people are really overestimating the amount of money to be spent on tyres, petrol, upkeep.

there are 6 races max if you can make them all. 6 laps i believe even with practice thrown in its not going to be many miles per meeting. call it 100. so 600 in total. call it 1k then.
as far as im concerned i wont be fannying about with oil changes etc after every race on a 620 in a very low state of tune.

also for me and maybe some others, the races will replace some of the trackdays i would have done so that money will be netted out too
Old 14-Dec-2004, 10:22
Mille

so far cost for me is one bike £2000.00 hopefully leathers etc I have already got will be ok, van cost 75.00 already lasted me 2 years. Its the cost of annettes valiunm thats worrying me! I have no idea what this will cost me at the end of the year but most years I do quite a few track days and I suspect I will do fewer track days if I enjoy racing.

There have been many comments about why race if you dont want to win, my view is that With the people already signed up my chances of winning are low, but as dickie stated if im not last in the first race it will be a start.

My stated aim when this was proposed was to let younger and fitter club members crash their brains out, but I persuaded myself that it would be fun and I would regret not giving it a go. I also feel that It may be what I need to regain the corner speed I have lost since my string of accidents, and will make me more aggressive as I am being too cautious when overtaking other riders. So although I do not expect to win races (unless its wet and everyone is on rennesports)I do expect to improve as a rider and may even surprise myself.

another rambling nonsense post by

dave
Old 14-Dec-2004, 10:39
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati
twpd - cheers for your post, its about the best response i've read and makes total sense to me (not necesserily a good thing b.t.w).

i think all most of the rules are fine at the moment, but having thought about it, i now believe having a control tyre as a great way forward to keep costs down - it negates the need for extra wheels and therefore cost and we should be able to get some kind of deal with a tyre manufacturer with a bit of sponsorship.
if going forward after the first year the currect riders feel the inclusion of wets is a good idea it could then be changed.

A control tyre seems a great idea - as you say - then there'll be no need for spare wheels / wets etc - keeping costs down and minimising differences.

Tim
Old 14-Dec-2004, 10:46
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by weeksy
So on top of the 12 races, it's 6 days of qualifying as well..... unless you wanna turn up the day of race and start last (although i'm not actually sure that will be allowed as most clubs require you to complete a certain ammount of laps in practice before allowing you out to race)

Weeksy et al - I see that the first round has qualifying in the Sat, with races on the Sunday - the other dates suggest that its a single day affair - would qualifying be in the morning then, or based upon previous performance?

Tim

[Edited on 14-12-2004 by Rattler]
Old 14-Dec-2004, 10:58
WSB Hero

Thanks mate, I'd like clarification of this - as I don't want to be spending the whole weekend away.

I'd ideally turn up the night before, qualify in the morning and race in the pm (fall off). This probably sounds unrealistic, but I can hope!

Monty / Chris - can you confirm if qualifying for the first date (Cadders) is on the practice Saturday or race day (Sunday)?

The timings of these are important to me.

Thanks
Tim
Old 14-Dec-2004, 11:20
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Good grief....this is only the setup stage !!!!

What on earth can I expect to see on the track, judging by the 'winning only counts' faction ???

I'm not having having a dig at anyone but carrying the argument to extreme are we looking forward to fairing bashing, carving up into corners and ultimately taking anyone else's line regardless of the consequences.

I can't ever see that happening but - get the drift!

Frank
Old 14-Dec-2004, 11:24
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally posted by Iconic944ss
I'm not having having a dig at anyone but carrying the argument to extreme are we looking forward to fairing bashing, carving up into corners and ultimately taking anyone else's line regardless of the consequences.

So you've seen me on the track then?

Old 14-Dec-2004, 11:29
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
On previous experience with New Era club championship, each day counts as a seperate round of the club championship with timed practice each morning that sets the grid position for the races. It's all changed a little over the last 12 months in club racing with the introduction of transponder timing. So not sure of this years format
Old 14-Dec-2004, 11:35
Mille

Having just read all the foregoing I know if I was on the fence about signing up for this and was a novice I'd be scared ****less!!! - but maybe thats not such a bad thing!!

I think the points Weeksy and CC make about racing being a run-away train are very important and it is perfectly reasonable of them to wipe the rose tinting from all our glasses. As they rightly point out it is not just a money issue its a time issue too.

Dickie's last post is getting somewhere now and I would just like to put my angle on it and maybe that will help those who may be undecided to reach a decission.

To me, an opportunity has been provided by the DSC for primarily novice racers to test the water in club racing with their much loved Ducati's at a grass roots level in an environment they are comfortable and confident with (DSC) with the help and support of alot of very experienced people which I understand now extends to Ducati themselves.

Yep, the manufacturer is onboard and offering support - as Chris Bushell has said - if you want to know whats actually going on - talk to the people who know. Now how cool is that - I don't think the Jap manufacturers support this kind of racing in this way........... People who buy in are buying in to alot more than a 600cc jap series has to offer and I believe the personal rewards will be much greater (and no disrespect is intended to anyone who races in these other classes - I am trying to illustrate the point that the Desmo Due series is going to be a bit special). In fact, I believe that plans are a-foot to try and sort a 24hr race during the year - now how f**king cool is that.

The rules ARE simple to apply and as TWPD has said the trick to cheap racing is to spend your money wisely. If you think spending £500 on a set of magnesium dingle dangle rearsets is going to win it for you - FORGET IT, loose a few lbs down the gym, sharpen your mind then see how much quicker you can be. If your on a quicker bike than me or a better rider and you end up behind me I won't be waving you past.

Tyres seem to be a problem at the moment - to me I could'nt care less. If its a control tyre so-be-it, as a novice I'm in no position to comment intelligently on the various merits and demerits of the various manufacturers. But what I do know is - if we are on a comprimise tyre, then we ALL are, its up to the rider in us to get the best from it.

Since warmers and their associated costs seem to be an issue then its easy - no warmers - debate over, I personally would be in favour of that ammendment to the rules.

So far as "how much will cost" goes.....

I spent the best part of £1500 last year on trackdays, tyres, fuel and sundries.

I already have a trailer (3 bike) (As an aside - if someone wants to take part and is put off by the lack of suitable transport but lives nearby, I'm happy to help out and keep the costs down)

I don't have a bike yet

I am not considering transport or food because the trackdays and other leisure time have that cost associated with them anyway.

I don't expect my consumables budget (bike) to exceed £1k

I buy a bike £2k (say) and spend a further £1k putting it in shape - £3k total

I compete for a year and decide that was enough, I've spent £5500.

But hang on a minute, I was going to spend £1500 trackdaying anyway and I've got a £3k bike and equipment to sell on. Lets assume I take a hit and sell the bike and equipment for £2k.

The extra cost of competing in this series is only (consumables plus depreciation of my asset) £2000 max.

A weeks holiday in the sun or a years racing with a great bunch of guys - well I made my choice months ago.

In terms of absolute cost, Weeksy you are right. But if like me you want to take that next step from existing trackday addictions (and have already time and money budgets in place for that hobby) then I see no reason why the extra cost need exceed £2k and if you actually already own a qualifying bike then its even cheaper. To me thats pretty damn cheap racing in a gentlemanly environment and this is exactly what the organisers intended.

Afterthought,

when I read JHP were entering with "Dave the storeman" - surely he has a real name !!! my first reaction was - I can see where this going and felt a bit depressed. Now I think bring it on - when the flag drops we are all equal - we can all fall off - have moment - get bike troubles - bad start - get past me - and and for a company with the standing of JHP to have the desire to be involved with Desmo Due this tells me it will be very special and a great year beckons