Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-Jan-2005, 15:18

888 starting probs

If it doesnt fire first time then it needs to be cranked several times before success. All standard Strada with no mods , new battery. Used to be perfect then I fitted 50mm straights and chip, was a pig last year to start so have reverted to standard system and chip, same problem, any pointers.????
Old 25-Jan-2005, 15:27
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
I'm not sure of the starting procedure on the 888

(my 996SPS only has small button under the throttle which opens the throttle a fraction, whereas the 996R has a conventional choke/fast idle lever on the left hand switch gear, so my experience may not be releavant...BUT)

My SPS used to be an absolute pig to start and i had all sort of suggestions as to the solution. Good old Nelly suggested that i just take a fraction of slack out of the throttle cable (not too much as you don't want the eingine racing, bashing hell out of the rockers whislt cold). That one simple change has resulted in the bike now starts great. Purely a case that the fraction too much slack meant that the fast idle button wasn't opening the throttle enough.

ALMOST SOUNDS LIKE TOO SIMPLE A SOLUTION, but it did the trick.

Please ignore all of this if the setup is different on the 888.
Old 25-Jan-2005, 19:31
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
My Strada was a bit of a sod to start till the TB's where balanced. I agree with BDG, a slight twist will make it easier for the engine to crank. Try it and see.

Rgds, Rob