Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 17-Dec-2004, 12:56
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
tyre warmers yes or no ?

just open to desmo due racers and currect or previous racers(who know alot more than the likes of me!)
Old 17-Dec-2004, 13:02
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
I can see the two sides of the argument here.

One side is that tyre warmers will give extra safety because you can go for it from the off. While I agree, 30 racers all going banzai into the first corner is not my idea of safe anyway!

The other side is that DesmoDue is supposed to be cheap and also level the playing field for all competitors. Taking away tyre warmers means that everyone will be the same and it may actually make the first few corners that little bit easier for us novices. And, of course, it keeps the cost down.
Old 17-Dec-2004, 13:08
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by antonye
. Taking away tyre warmers means that everyone will be the same and it may actually make the first few corners that little bit easier for us novices. And, of course, it keeps the cost down.

you wont say that when someone (me probably) loses it up the inside and skittles you and 10 other riders off into the gravel
Old 17-Dec-2004, 13:12
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati
you wont say that when someone (me probably) loses it up the inside and skittles you and 10 other riders off into the gravel

Sure, but if there are people not running tyre warmers when they are allowed, this could still happen anyway.
Old 17-Dec-2004, 13:16
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Yep - I can see both sides too - but if we don't use them, then there's no need to buy/borrow generators or tyrewarmers and all associated paddock stands etc. (particularly if there's a single control tyre - as you won't need stands to change wheels etc!).

So although I already have warmers (but not a genny) I'm prefer not to use them.

I still subscribe to the theory of buying a cheap monster, making it race worthy (enough to pass scrutineering) and getting out there and have some fun.

I envisage dragging a Monster around on a trailer, leaving it parked up on its sidestand before and between races and having a laugh.

For me any rules that enable me to get closer to this would be welcomed.

Tim

[Edited on 17-12-2004 by Rattler]
Old 17-Dec-2004, 13:16
Mille

1st year, no warmers

"you wont say that when someone (me probably) loses it up the inside and skittles you and 10 other riders off into the gravel"

that would be the "block pass" then
Old 17-Dec-2004, 13:19
BSB Star

aaah i see! i'm learning already
Old 17-Dec-2004, 13:23
BSB Star

uncledunnie - b.t.w i can see you taking me up the inside (so to speak) quite a bit if our avatars are anything to go by!
Old 17-Dec-2004, 13:26
Mille

and leaving me plenty of time to bimble past having made up 11 places by the first corner.....

note to self:-

follow Dickie into turn one
Old 17-Dec-2004, 13:46
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
From the club races I've seen recently there still seems to be as many first lap crashes now as there were before tyre warmers existed and I think the problem is still the same - it's the way the grid is formed, random or by ballot (ever noticed how there are less crashes when grid positions are decided by qualiying times or in finals where earlier finishing order determines the grid). This random nature of the grid means that a rider with a chance of finishing up front will have to make up positions quickly as club races just aren't long enough to wait a lap to start passing people, so there is always going to be some contact with 30 or so riders together with the faster ones deparate to get to the front.