Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   worn piston boss 600ss (/showthread.php?t=492494)

johnplum 16-May-2017 13:11

worn piston boss 600ss

Hello, I'm a new member. I have taken over a 600ss, and upon investigating a sound that was said to be 'piston slap', discovered a severely worn piston boss on the horizontal cylinder. Bothe bosses were worn oval, by about 0.8mm in places. :eek:
I wonder what may have started this surprising wear, given that gudgeon (wrist) pins are meant to be sacrificed to the piston boss.

:confused: Q1. Do you know a supplier of aftermarket 600 ss pistons and do you have recommendations as per design options - I'm not particularly looking to change the standard compression - standard would do, but perhaps they have improved for wear on the boss... Pistons are not available in matched pairs from Ducati, only singly with vertical cylinder.

:confused: Q2. Is it Ok to simply hone the cylinder and fit a new (matched pair) of pistons.

John

Iconic944ss 17-May-2017 11:46

Welcome John,

Pretty sure Kev (Skidlids) or one of the DesmoDue 600 racers will be along shortly and be able to offer some insight.

I didnt see a mention of your location, might help in sourcing spares, etc.

johnplum 17-May-2017 13:22

Cheers Frank,
I added location to profile - not sure how to get it to show in signature on posts. Its Northolt Middlesex.

skidlids 20-May-2017 23:50

The bores are Nikasil plated so not suitable to be honed

As for pistons the only aftermarket ones that were made for the 600SS was the ones Baines Racing at Silverstone had made

There were several 675cc kits around that were allowed in the first year of Desmo Due but not sure if there are any available on the second hand market and prices may be close to that of buying another engine

johnplum 21-May-2017 16:31

Thanks, most useful.