Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Sport Touring: ST4 / ST3 / ST2 (/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Fork Chatter (/showthread.php?t=660687)

ScottishKiwi 11-Sep-2021 06:25

Fork Chatter

2 Attachment(s)
I have a 2004 Ducati ST4s ABS, I love it Sargent seat raised and pulled bars back towards me K&N with Termi cans.
I have had issues with brake chatter coming and going seemed to get worse then better then worse again.

I have rebuilt the front forks fitted Ohlins springs and fork oil, stripped cleaned and rebuilt the calipers, refaced the pad material fitted the recommended banjo bolt to the master cylinder still had issues.

I noticed the brake rotors were not as loose as my 1098 some of the bobbins seemed too tight for me so I tried cleaning them with some success.

Took the front wheel off removed the rotors from the wheel attacked and removed the standard bobbins with my angle grinder fitted fully floating alloy bobbins seemed to be substantially lighter than the standard bobbins.

No more chatter works fine, disks move more easily than the originals on the carrier now.

Just what I found.

antonye 12-Sep-2021 18:03

I used to find similar with the Hypermotard, the brakes would feel awful and pulse sometimes, and the caliper pistons and bobbins would need cleaning to remove all the collected gunk.

It once failed an MOT because of "warped front disks". I told the tester that I would take it home and clean it, then bring it back but he laughed and said "you won't clean warped disks!".

How I laughed when I took it back an hour later and it passed :D

ScottishKiwi 15-Sep-2021 04:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonye
I used to find similar with the Hypermotard, the brakes would feel awful and pulse sometimes, and the caliper pistons and bobbins would need cleaning to remove all the collected gunk.

It once failed an MOT because of "warped front disks". I told the tester that I would take it home and clean it, then bring it back but he laughed and said "you won't clean warped disks!".

How I laughed when I took it back an hour later and it passed :D

Yip good when that happens :cool: