Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   998 coolant (expansion ) tank leak issue (/showthread.php?t=660743)

SteveB998 07-Nov-2021 20:22

998 coolant (expansion ) tank leak issue

Hi folks , anyone had a similar problem with 998 coolant tank leaking ? It’s the one just mounted under the headstock area , I’ve previously had leak issue and replaced the tank, a couple of years ago. looks like it’s just happened again today . They seem to split at the joint on the tank as they're plastic . Quick online search seems it’s a common problem.

Just wondering if anyone found a solution or better product then stock Ducati ones ? Cheers for any thoughts / advise , SB

antonye 08-Nov-2021 09:38

I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I thought that this issue was solved on the later 998 by changing the mould for the tank and reinforcing the weak area... but maybe not!

The only other thing that I remember is some people having alu tanks made to replicate the Corse version, but I expect that these would be super hard to get hold of now.

SteveB998 08-Nov-2021 13:08

Cheers Antony , yes have seen online some examples of the aluminium type unit (albeit not sure anyone makes these now ) and a carbon version which are possibly in stock in Europe ! Wondered if anyone has used these ? Might be more expensive but would hopefully save replacing them . Other than not sure if you can tell the fluid level as I don’t think they have an indicator then as long as they fit shouldn’t be an issue . Appreciate any thoughts. Steve b

SteveB998 16-Feb-2022 19:26

Hi folks , for anyone interested , quick update ….. I finally fitted the new carbon coolant tank ( made by EVR from carbon4us.com) and very frustratingly (understatement ) The pipe connection nozzle on the tank failed / is faulty ! And of course leaks . So it’s on its way back to the supplier ( in Spain ) for their inspection.

I’ve refitted new Ducati standard plastic tank part and hope that one lasts …..