View Single Post
Old 14-Nov-2004, 22:47
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
yes, very flattering and all, I've got a few piccies like the one above, but I've got a LONG way to go before I'm quick on the TZ and funnily enough, swapping bikes has lost me my edge on the CB5. I can still hoon it round the track, but the tenth here and there that keeps you ahead of the guy two inches from your handlebars has momentarily gone.

I can never explain what it is, but I cannot ride ANY bike to the insane level that I can ride a CB5. I wish I had the magic trick, cause I'd be bleedin rapid if I could.....and that's not me blowing my own trumpet, anyone that's had a go of my CB5 (and that's loads of peeps) agree that for some unknown reason, that nobody I've ever met can fathom out, you can brake later, carry more corner speed and get on the gas quicker than anything else I've ever ridden. All from 49.5 bhp, road tyres, a single disc and bongy bongy suspension. Fabulous....makes me smile even typing this.

I'm guessing having ridden a Monster around Mallory that anyone racing one of these will have a similar experience. CB5 racing is like two wheeled dodgems, which is quite unlike racing the TZ or the 600's races that I've raced in. There is a 'given' that you are totally nuts and agree when you go on the grid that it is acceptable to shunt someone off, or be shunted.

I've said it before and you're all totally bored of it by now, but I watched the CB5's race at Snetterton when Monty and I were on the TZ and the paying punter standing next to me at Russells chicane said to his son when asked which bike was racing next, "it's the best race of the day, it's the nutters on the CB5's". Funny, I watched a few other races at Russells and it was all quite polite, until the CB5's came on and it was total mayhem and carnage, just hilarious to watch. It can still get you me round in 1.25 and last years championship winner did a 1.23.

I really think some of the magic is down to it being a 'one make' series and it's why I've been so vocal about not allowing too many mods for Desmo Due. Keep it simple, let the rider do the talking and we'll (you'll) have some fabulous racing and great memories.

Speaking to Monty today on the BHC rideout, I do feel like it's time to move on, although, I'll still do the odd race on the CB5 and probably never sell it. I love it.

Let's hope that Monster racing gets off the ground, cause I think the racers will get a similar feeling from it.

WeeJohnyB