View Single Post
Old 14-Jan-2009, 19:25
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogaromill998
Not at all Tim, cheating should not be allowed. My understanding of the rules is that no mods are allowed to the crank, and as far as I can see balancing a crank is merely good practice, not cheating in anyway, as I have already said, it is absolutely bog standard in everyway, with no performance enhancement inferred or gained from just putting the thing together properly. I handed them a crank, 3 sets of rods and pistons and gudgeon pins, circlips piston rings etc and told them to balance the thing.

No issues with the crank - but it sounds like Class B is the new Class A with a selection of engine parts available to create the best engine - nice work.

Part of the challenge and enjoyment for me of DD was creating and building a bike that was within the rules, but took advantage of any available advantages that could be had by applying the rules. Sounds like you've done that with the crank, by using OEM parts that best match (without any machining) to run as efficiently as possible.

My point was about the wheels, if riders are cheating (knowingly or otherwise) by using illegal wheels then they should be protested, or better still, a quiet word should be had with them to point out that they are outside of the rules if they don't run a 583 or 620 OEM wheels. Then they avoid getting protested (and paying out £s) and also avoid getting black-balled by the rest of the paddock.

Maybe its time to plan and run an early "this is what you can do to a DD bike and this is what you can't" session.

Or maybe as part of a FAQ list in the DD section?

Tim